Next caliber?

emmagator

I currently have a 270wsm shooting 165gr matrix bullets. I believe this rifle shooting this bullet will do anything i need as good or better than many other calibers. However I got the bug for shooting, rifle builds, and load tuning. I'm planning on building another long range hunter/shooter, my question is, what caliber would be a good choice(other than 338)? A caliber that wouldn't just repeat the capabilities of my 270wsm? Is there a clear choice? Thanks

depends on what you are looking for. Short or Long action? What do you think you would use it for. I'm working on a similar question right now. I have a .308 and am looking at making it into a switch barrel with either a 270wsm or a 300wsm. a little more info, and I could maybe give you some ideas

Right now I'm really flexible. Short or long action doesn't matter. This will be used for hunting and long range shooting. I have no minimum caliber requirements however. Game animal won't determine caliber, actually vise versa.thanks

If your hunting goes beyond 600-800 yards and you want the best opportunity to take down large big game cleanly and you do not want a 338 then get a 375 caliber. But it would be in your best interests not to go smaller. Caliber makes a HUGE difference in killing game. 30 cals with the new heavy, high bc bullets can get you a little further but not below a 30 cal. Depends on your distance and animal. If all you hunt is deer size animals you can get by with a smaller caliber but larger ones are still better.

well i don't shoot a wsm but i went from 270win to 300 ultra and i gotta say i like it. 210 bergers are wonderful! Don't get me wrong i love the 270 but, that 30 will cover pretty much everything, everywhere. at any range capable..gun)

emmagator, seriously, there are just so many choices that perform so well it just depends on what you want to achieve. I don't know what your hunting is but the 270 with 165's takes care of about any hunting you want to do. I have a couple 243 AI's that are incredibly accurate and fun to shoot. Also inexpensive to shoot. It is one of the most inherently accurate cartridges ever designed and has held numerous world records and match wins. With heavy high bc bullets it does well to 1000 yards. You could shoot it for fun because it is inexpensive to push rounds through. Let the 270 work as your hunter.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.