What Scope

I am an old guy that shoots in the mountains most of the time I have several makes that have been mentioned here but my favorite is my Schmidt Bender 5x25x56 it's a little heavy for some but I think being able to see is worth the weight & cost

March is nice, but I'd prefer NF. I'd stay away from Leupold... Mark 5 is a big improvement, but not as satisfied as I am with my NF or ZCO.

I sold my Swarovskis because of some concerns using a light rifle and big recoiling chamberings. Put a ZCO on and the problem was solved.

I really like my ATACR, NX8 2x20, and also the Swarovski cousin Kahles 525i, then my ZCO... like them all so much I use them all the time. Currently my ZCO is mounted on my hunting rifle

Sticking with the lightweight theme, along with dependability, I agree with the Oregonian. The VX5/6 Leupolds have fantastic field of view, adequate magnification for mountain hunting, and low light gathering capability that exceeds most when actually compared side by side. Sold my Nightforce and Swaro's in favor of the VX5-HD to save weight and to get the Windplex reticle. Recently picked up a VX3-HD for a 338-06 since I don't intend to use it beyond the limited turret capability, but its field of view sucks compared to the 5's and 6's. If you are planning on a back country or fly-in trip, then Vortex would be my last pick.

Ive owned every scope from leupold to tangent theta. Honestly best scope for the money is ther zero. Outside your 3k new but id save for it you won't regret. Zero is not as good glass wise as a tangent but u believe its better in turrets. There both better then any Nightforce leupold or smitt bender Swarovski. Ive owned them all. If weight is a concern then id go nx8. Mark 5 is awesome glass i just dont trust leupold turrets.

I own both the March 2.5x25x52 SFP, and a few ATACR's, SFP and FFP. Both are excellent scopes. If compact size and light weight is a priority, the March(25oz) is an excellent choice. I have been using mine for about four years with solid performance…. and it has seen some rugged use. Glass and turret quality of the March are, IMO, comparable to the ATACR.
I recently acquired a ZCO 420, 4x20x50. Somewhat of a hybrid in size and weight between the two former scopes, the optical quality is noticeably better then my ATACR's and March. The ZCO has superb controls, with a well thought out design. Being a hybrid in physical size and weight between the ATACR and March, I expect the ZCO 420 to become my go-to optic hunting.

anything zeiss
Zeiss, is the parent company of Schott Glass(German), considered by many to produce the some of the best optical glass In the world. Schott Glass is one of the two primary optics/glass suppliers, the other being Hoya(Japanese). Schott glass is sourced/used by most of the European scope manufacturers. Zeiss, S&B, Kahles, and ZCO, amongst others. At least to my eyes, the difference is readily apparent…As is often, the cost.