What Scope

Vortex HD LH would be my choice if lightweight is at the top of your list and quality is also equal in your need. At 15oz, the 3-15 model is perfect for a lightweight hunting rifle. I know Leupold wasn't on your list but the VX5/6HD are great options. The VX5 3-15 is around 18-19oz.

Zeiss, is the parent company of Schott Glass(German), considered by many to produce the some of the best optical glass In the world. Schott Glass is one of the two primary optics/glass suppliers, the other being Hoya(Japanese). Schott glass is sourced/used by most of the European scope manufacturers. Zeiss, S&B, Kahles, and ZCO, amongst others. At least to my eyes, the difference is readily apparent…As is often, the cost.
Interesting

Weight is a big factor for me. NF is a very dependable scope but I just can't make myself justify the additional weight. I've been searching long and hard for my next scope for a lightweight build. Great glass is a must, but the warranty is also a consideration for me. The Swarovski 8 series may blow the budget, but is at the top of my want list. I'm a SFP guy due to the mixed use of heavy timber and longer open shot opportunities. In the end I will probably just go with a Leupold VX6HD in 3-18x50. Once I get over the initial cost of the build, I can easily sell the Lupy and find me a Swarovski 8. The transferable and lifetime warranty is highly desired when buying a used scope.

Weight is a big factor for me. NF is a very dependable scope but I just can't make myself justify the additional weight. I've been searching long and hard for my next scope for a lightweight build. Great glass is a must, but the warranty is also a consideration for me. The Swarovski 8 series may blow the budget, but is at the top of my want list. I'm a SFP guy due to the mixed use of heavy timber and longer open shot opportunities. In the end I will probably just go with a Leupold VX6HD in 3-18x50. Once I get over the initial cost of the build, I can easily sell the Lupy and find me a Swarovski 8. The transferable and lifetime warranty is highly desired when buying a used scope.
In the process of ordering a VX5HD in 4-20. I have a VX6HD and the extra money isn't worth it. Same glass just different magnification multiplier and a few extras. My VX5HDs(3-15) and the one VX6HD (3-18) I have are identical to my eye when looking thru both scopes.

I have a VX5HD(3-15) and really like it. You're right on the glass. Adding Alumina covers bring the 5 a little closer to the 6 in price. Probably makes sense to get another 5, but variety is the spice of life so they say. I want to like the NF and some of the other alpha glass scopes. Just don't want to carry them for long treks.

I have a VX5HD(3-15) and really like it. You're right on the glass. Adding Alumina covers bring the 5 a little closer to the 6 in price. Probably makes sense to get another 5, but variety is the spice of life so they say. I want to like the NF and some of the other alpha glass scopes. Just don't want to carry them for long treks.
Hard to beat the NF but if weight matters, leupy glass is still great stuff. I really like their new HD CDS scopes.

I use a Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope (G3 illuminated reticle) on my light (6 lbs. 3 oz.) 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro mountain rifle but it's a bit heavy at 30 oz.

I REALLY like the SIG Sierra6 BDX scope with the SIG BDX monocular or BDX binoculars because that scope can receive Bluetooth from the BDX range finding monocular or BDX binocular. If you input your rifle's muzzle velocity and all other info they ask for into the cellphone app and from there to the rangefinder you have an amazing scope with a lighted reticle dot firing solution that is EXACT. It also pairs with a KESTREL 5700 ELITE Bluetooth unit.

So OK, the glass is not ED glass but it's fine for hunting. At 23.8 oz. the 3 - 18 x 44 scope is perfect for long range hunting on a mountain rifle. The other SIG/SAUER tech is so advanced that, after spending thousands on your gear, tag, guide, transportation, etc. the BDX scope gives you a big advantage over other scopes for a much higher % of hit probability. Lase the target with the rangefinder, look at the lighted dot on the reticle, put it on the animal and you will very likely hit.

Price range would probably try to be below 3, preferably 2-2,500 if not lower (pay for what you get). The price on the vortex was quite a bit lower compared to others and just wondering how it stood up. Looked at TT and in person and wonder if it is that much better. I have a NX 8 on another rifle and like it but the glass is not as clear as the EU scopes, also have a few Khales, Zeiss (victory davari, and conquests.) they have worked great. My cousin has a vx-5 on his mt. rifle and has done fine but is not happy in low light. Should I worry about 8 oz on a NF and give up clarity and weight? Like to see my target well and want a rugged scope. Any advice would be appreciated. This is going on a short barrel 300 prc also.
Is his a 40mm or 50mm OBJ?

Leupolds with the 50 and 52mm objectives are fantastic in low light.

I'd seriously look at both the VX-6 and VX-5. I have a dozen VX6's and could not be happier.

Zeiss, is the parent company of Schott Glass(German), considered by many to produce the some of the best optical glass In the world. Schott Glass is one of the two primary optics/glass suppliers, the other being Hoya(Japanese). Schott glass is sourced/used by most of the European scope manufacturers. Zeiss, S&B, Kahles, and ZCO, amongst others. At least to my eyes, the difference is readily apparent…As is often, the cost.
All true, but in the end what really makes the difference between all of them using equal glass is the individual company's proprietary coatings.

I've shot most of the Euro Glass at different times and they consistently beat the rest for low light use which makes sense because of the weather in Northern Europe.

All true, but in the end what really makes the difference between all of them using equal glass is the individual company's proprietary coatings.

I've shot most of the Euro Glass at different times and they consistently beat the rest for low light use which makes sense because of the weather in Northern Europe.

Generally, the particular grade of glass and coating is specified by the scope manufacturer. Both Schott Glass and Hoya have the expertise and supply the coating technology as well. Selection by the scope manufacturer is much like that of buying a diamond. There are grades for aberrations, brilliance, color, shape, etc. And, like selecting a diamond, this aspect plays a material role in the cost/price and surely, the optical quality of the particular scope. Each scope manufacturer balances the lens selection to there particular strategy.
Before retirement, in a prior life, I worked in the Analytical Instrumentation Industry. Many of the detection systems utilized specialty lenses in instruments used to detect low level compounds in drugs, food, water, etc. Lens quality and selection could mean the difference between detecting(or not detecting) the presence/level of toxins in consumed products.. A different world from rifle scopes, but it had some similarities when it came to lens selection.

I got a vx5 at the bottom of the noatak river lol turrets wouldn't track back to zero after I killed my first bull and i missed a giant due too it i was a little ****ed
Sometimes emotions can cause bad decisions. Most of my bad decisions and destroyed equipment were related to my error not the equipment. Golf clubs were my main target for destruction.

Pack along a 2nd back-up scope should the primary one fail. Same rings to fit rail. My scope recommendations might be sort of different - light weight, high quality 30mm tube scope (my max self imposed range is 400 yards, never felt underpowered with 8X) mounted so 200 yard zero is 20% from bottom of elevation range. Apprehension about spring tension & recoil near top of elevation range. Crank it up high as possible to test groups periodically - springs fail, stuff happens. Super good scopes are pricey but hunting is not a cheap sport. Zeiss makes lots of hospital instruments that I have casually observed while having my body worked on.