What Scope

baydog7

I'm building a mountain rifle with intentions for sheep and goat. Will be used for elk as well and just light rifle. Going with Clymer stock and TI action and all the other light stuff. I'm trying to decide on a scope. Looking at a March, new Vortex light or Nx 8. I know the NF is heavier (8oz) but more dependable maybe. Does anyone have the expreince with all three or another I might be overlooking. Glass and dependable is a big factor. Thanks for any input.

Price range would probably try to be below 3, preferably 2-2,500 if not lower (pay for what you get). The price on the vortex was quite a bit lower compared to others and just wondering how it stood up. Looked at TT and in person and wonder if it is that much better. I have a NX 8 on another rifle and like it but the glass is not as clear as the EU scopes, also have a few Khales, Zeiss (victory davari, and conquests.) they have worked great. My cousin has a vx-5 on his mt. rifle and has done fine but is not happy in low light. Should I worry about 8 oz on a NF and give up clarity and weight? Like to see my target well and want a rugged scope. Any advice would be appreciated. This is going on a short barrel 300 prc also.

I'm very impressed with the Vortex line and their CS is unbeatable. Best thing is to get someplace where you can look through a few and see the difference for the money

March or Leupold Mark 5, especially if you are going F1. Really liking MK-5 F1 after 1 - 1/2 year on 2 magnums. JMO

I'm building a mountain rifle with intentions for sheep and goat. Will be used for elk as well and just light rifle. Going with Clymer stock and TI action and all the other light stuff. I'm trying to decide on a scope. Looking at a March, new Vortex light or Nx 8. I know the NF is heavier (8oz) but more dependable maybe. Does anyone have the expreince with all three or another I might be overlooking. Glass and dependable is a big factor. Thanks for any input.
March 4.5-28 high Master or 2.5-25×52

With the kind of money you'll spend on the rifle as well as sheep & goat hunts, don't skimp on the scope. Jump to the top and grab a Tangent Theta 3-15 M or H.

I would be scouring eBay and the classified's here for a used Swarovski Z6 or Z8 or equivalent 30mm tube Zeiss if SFP is what you want, Getting one under $3k should be very doable if you're patient. Just saw a 2.5-15x56 Swarovski Z6 out there for $2,250 and it's new. Fantastic scope and it's in the 24 oz range If FFP is what you want, I'd do the same thing but look for Schmidt and Bender, ZCO or TT. You're building a custom rifle. My theory is never skimp on glass, Lot's of great used options out there and if you do end up having issues, most of the high end manufacturers will stand behind the product.. I've got several Swarovski's, a couple TT's and a ZCO, and would rather have a used model of any of these than a brand new lesser product. Just my opinion.

Last edited: