What scope retical?

midwesthunter

Ok guys just got done building my .223 for varmit hunting. Next step is scope retical type. I already know what brand I'm getting just wondering if I should go with a mil dot or fine crosshair with the drums for yardage out to 400 yards? I live in the midwest northern Indiana to be exact i can take some extream long shots. I know if i go with the mil dot that i will need to practice with it on the highest power for the mil dot system to work properly. or i could go with the drum turret and just change it to the yardage? I have never used either so some imput would be apreciated. Thanks

My opinion is that it depends on what you are shooting and how far.

I shoot a lot of squirrels with a 6br and have a Nighforce NXS with a NP-R2. I find it easier for hold over using the reticle. Most of my shots are from 300 to 500 yards and you usually get a sighter shot.

My big game rifle has a Sightron with a dot. I range it then crank the turrets because I want the precision.

With your 223 you would probably be better off using the mildot scope and if you have time range your target then crank the turrets.

Merry Christmas to all.

For me mildots are a little coarse for the 223 to 400 yards on small targets. I much prefer MOA hashmarks or @ least ½ mill hashes (IOR MP-8,GenII ) Depending on the Mill setting and the total power you could end up with 2 MOA mildots but shooting it will tell you for fact whats what.
The fine x hair tends to get lost in the brush, tuff to see in the shadows and dusk-dawn conditions if thats a factor?
Personaly I prefer to use the reticle for most shots, the trick is getting to know and useing it. The power setting on most scopes is criticle. Another thing to consider is going with a scope and reticle you can afford or want to put on every gun, its a lot easier when they all look and work the same!
The R1, GenII(set to MOA) and MP-8(Set to 18x) are all great as the MOA hashes are easy to figure.
If you look through my six long range rigs they all look like this, it just soo much easier going from one to the other!!
Someday I'm gonna figure out how to take a good pic through the scope.

Sonju10-28-07%20035.jpg

Last edited:
I use both styles (dial and reticle), so I typically prefer having a MIL or MOA reticle. I do not care much for the dots. I prefer the horizontal lines/dashes/tics much better. Both Leupold and NightForce make these kinds of reticle, as does Holland's.
This is a matter of personal preference when it comes to dialing or reticle use.

Seems like 1/2 the shooters out there like to dial the knob. The other 1/2 like to hold over.

Personaly I prefer the hold over method. I have seen turrets that when adjusted it took a shot to get them settled in after an adjustment. Holdovers are simpler.

I like to have options. If it were my money I would have both the reticle that would allow me to adjust my hold to account for windage and distance while having the ability to dial the knob to hold dead on.

I use a…. 8.5-25X50mm Leupold ER/T with the; "TMR" Tactical Milling Reticle and to tell the truth; I've used most the reticle out there and by far this has became my favorite one.
.224 Wby

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.