what scope to get?

headstrong

Hi guys I'm new to this forum but have been doing research on scopes I would like to get. This gun will be mostly a hunting rifle but will do some long range targeting with it. I just sold my 300 rum and will be buying a savage weather warrior .308 with accutrigger and accustock. Sold it because of the price of ammo. I will be able to shoot the 308 way more and get better with it than the 300 rum. IMO of course. So now I'm looking for a scope. Thinking about a 6-20x50 or something like that. Would like to send $300-$500 of couse the cheaper the better but I'm willing to spend the $500. What I have been reading... Millet TRS-1, Clearridge ultra xps 5, bushnell 4200 but I dont think they make those anymore, and Vortex Viper. Anyways would like some input on these scope and other scopes. Best bang for the buck is really what I'm looking for. Also since goolge doesn't really let you search gun gun thing. Where can I find some good prices on these scope. ebay, midway, buds?

Welcome to LRH. I am an avid Vortex Viper fan. That would the route to go. But the older Bushnell 4200 Elite is the way to go or better yet a used Tactical model. I am also a huge fan of the Nikon Buckmaster series. I have the 4.5x14x40 and have owned and used the 6-18x40. Both are very nice scopes and good glass. Don't know anything about the other scope you asked about. Might be able to get into a Nikon Monarch also for the $500 mark. Falcon Menace would be a good scope to look into. Check out SWFA.com. They are good to work with and offer a huge selection in scopes. I've been told the Millets are a lot better now than when they started out. May want to look into the LRS. It's been getting good reviews. Again though, I prefer the Vortex.

Tank

Clearidge makes a very good scope, IMO. I have 3 now. Optics are very subjective, but they have very nice glass for my eyes. Better than most.

I have 2 of the Nitrex 6x20x50 fine crosshair scopes made by weaver. Good glass an tracking . They were on sale awhile back for $200 but there now $400 from natches shooters supply . I never liked the bushnell 4200 because of the thick crosshairs. Sorry tank.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.