What rifles are you planning to use in the 23/24 deer seaon?

Since I don't do any long range hunting, just short range for whitetails, I plan on using my savage lightweight hunter in 7mm-08 with freshly chopped barrel to 16.5". Never hunted suppressed before and just got my can in February, very much looking forward to that. Also new this year will be the 90 grain hammer hunters. Coming out around 3200 fps. Don't have a solid load worked up for them yet but recoil is almost non existent and very pleasant with the suppressor. It wears a razor HD LHT during deer season. I've had the scope for a couple years now and REALLY like it- the reticle is pretty much perfect in my opinion, it's lightweight, and I like the exposed locking elevation turret.
Very much looking forward to using it this season!
I have a CVA Cascade in 7mm-08 threaded and a custom Rem 700 being built. I love that caliber. My supperssor is still about 3-4 months out. I did not time it well for this season.

I have a CVA Cascade in 7mm-08 threaded and a custom Rem 700 being built. I love that caliber. My supperssor is still about 3-4 months out. I did not time it well for this season.
Me too! Been using it for a few years, not bad recoil and seems to still hit pretty hard.

Wouldn't have mattered when you filed, the ATF seems to like to bone people on getting their suppressor after season ends 😂

Me too! Been using it for a few years, not bad recoil and seems to still hit pretty hard.

Wouldn't have mattered when you filed, the ATF seems to like to bone people on getting their suppressor after season ends 😂
I did mine in May. It was one fo those things where I had to just make the decision and had the worst timing. Banish 30. Silencer Central was great. Got all the extras I needed.

Perfect description of the 7mm-08. Not bad recoil and hits hard.

I may be having a custom 6.5 PRC built as well. Another cartridge that recoil is mild and hits hard. Good thing is the buddy I have that will build it can easily replace a burned out barrel. He is a master.

I'm going to be bringing my .257 weatherby vanguard stainless synthetic. Haven't hunted with this rig yet. Testing the 75 grain hammer hunter at 4150 feet per second. Have it all dialed in out to 500 yards. It's hold on hair flat to that distance.

I may also get a fall black bear tag. For that I'd probably grab the .300 win mag savage 111, got an accurate load for that with federal 180 grain trophy bonded tips at about 3000 fps.

6.5x47 shooting 110 HH. Hard not to use this when it shoots so well.
Decided to take it from a 26" barrel to 22". I don't think it hurt the accuracy. Next outing I will get new chrono data. Oh, Sporting a new NX8 4-32 too.

IMG_0982.jpeg

I can't take the lack input so far:

Inline 50cal smoke pole season.
.338 fed Kimber montana first week or two with the leaves still on
AM walks, my self built 300PRC Defiance/Proof
Evening sits Dad's #10 .257 Roberts
Rain and Snow days 20'' CA Ridgeline .308 short LOP for shooting with pack on
Bluebird fall days .308 Kimber select excellent wood
Cold, big woods days .280 AI of some flavor (3)
Thanksgiving day hunt Savage 99 to honor the fallen.
Post rut thumper .338 RCM
Now I just have to decide on a truck gun, out the window rifle and suitable back up for each above while at camp.
Yes, i'm excited. Of course this is all going to change ten times in the next three weeks.😊
And yes Lance, now you can pick on ME!

Not a rifle but..
*Ravin R5X to hopefully get my archery buck

*Aero Precision 6.8 SPC AR pistol/ holosun red dot to get my shotgun buck

*Possibly CVA optima/ Bushnell banner to get my muzzleloader buck (will skip muzzleloader season if I am lucky enough to get an archery and shotgun buck..don't want to kill too many deer off of our property!)

*and finally a savage storm 6.5 creedmoor with a Nightforce NX8 and probably Hornady SSTs for Texas.

Attachments

• 20230926_203915.jpg
    20230926_203915.jpg
    855.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230926_204034.jpg
    20230926_204034.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Recent Posts