What Rain Gear for Oregon elk hunting?

I'm from the arid rolling hills of west South Dakota. I've never needed real rain gear before. Now a friend of mine moved to Oregon and we are going to hunt elk in the Cascades in October of 2020. It's pretty much guaranteed to rain every day out there. I don't want to be wet so I'm wanting the best rain gear I can get. But the only thing I have to go on are manufacturer claims. I like Kuiu gear, it's what I use now, but I am not devoted to the brand. I'd rather be warm and dry. So far I'm looking at the Kuiu Yukon and Chugach sets as well as their new Axis hybrid jacket and Talus hybrid pant. Any advice and experience would be helpful.
Better than a specific brand, understand the construction. Something with a PTFE layer and taped seams that is impervious to water but breathes to avoid being wetter inside than outside. GORETEX is the leading PTFE but other clothing manufacturers have similar performing layers under other trade names to avoid the cost associated with GORETEX licensing. Quiet outer fabric is important for up close hunting such as archery. I've had great success hunting in US military ECWCS (Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System) layers. Offers several options in layers from silk inner to goose down. There is a packable GORETEX PTFE set of jacket and pants. System is tough, durable and effective. Can be purchased very economically from many sources. Our military bets their lives on it.

Last edited:
I like Frog Tog Rain gear, light, breaths, not so **** expensive. If temperature is an issue layer with polar fleece. I also breathed. The combination replaces several other combinations that are heavy, expensive, and less effective.

I have been using the Cabelas MT050 for several years now and it has held up extremely well. I not only use it during wet conditions, but also when windy and cold. Not sure if they are still making it, but another brand to look at.

I like a Ford f350 crew cab with power windows and a good defroster, never let me down when I worked in Winthrop Wa for 6 years
......a diesel no doubt......how's that work for sneakin' on elk??? :) :) :)
I identify with you though. My Cherokee with doors and windows and hot heater sure beats an open Ranger for headin' to the lodge in a driving freezing rain. Old too soon; smart too late.

Pro2A who's sneakin on Elk is this a long range hunting forum.
elk pic 2019.JPG

IMO, the best rain suit for the money is Cabela's Rainy River. It is Gore-Tex PacLite which is more breathable than the original GTX but not as breathable as the Pro Shell version. It's tough and fairly light weight at around 1 lb. per parka and per pants.

Buy one size larger parka to be able to comfortably fit a puffy jacket under it.

Eric B.

The acid test is to take gear and make a bowl of the clothing and put it into the sink and put water into it. Gortex will soak through. I used Arctic Shield in Alaska and it was excellent and quiet

James, rain suit "tests" like yours means you should just use the Ford F-150 for rain protection.
Gore-Tex requires that the inside of the laminate get WET before it passes vapor to the outside. I have a GTX hunting suit that works well as long as I'm not dragging a deer out of the woods or packing boned meat 5 miles. But get sweated up and you need to open up the pit zips and any other vents available.

I also have an eVent rain suit and it does NOT require getting wet before passing the vapor out. Vapor just goes right through the laminate.

A test of standard GTX and eVent is to have two cups of almost boiling water. Rubber band a piece of each fabric over the cups and time how long it takes for vapor to pass through the fabric. eVent passives vapor immediately but GTX takes about 15 to 20 seconds while laminate wets out.
DISCLAIMER: GTX Pro vents directly.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.