What Rain Gear for Oregon elk hunting?

Timnterra

I'm from the arid rolling hills of west South Dakota. I've never needed real rain gear before. Now a friend of mine moved to Oregon and we are going to hunt elk in the Cascades in October of 2020. It's pretty much guaranteed to rain every day out there. I don't want to be wet so I'm wanting the best rain gear I can get. But the only thing I have to go on are manufacturer claims. I like Kuiu gear, it's what I use now, but I am not devoted to the brand. I'd rather be warm and dry. So far I'm looking at the Kuiu Yukon and Chugach sets as well as their new Axis hybrid jacket and Talus hybrid pant. Any advice and experience would be helpful.

Attachments

• 1A6D9574-64C2-4BBA-BCF0-DEF557353332.png
    1A6D9574-64C2-4BBA-BCF0-DEF557353332.png
    101.7 KB · Views: 320
  • 1629A014-83FC-482B-899B-58FCB8FBEA07.png
    1629A014-83FC-482B-899B-58FCB8FBEA07.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 0391CB0A-BB02-49E6-BF89-E598C89D58A1.png
    0391CB0A-BB02-49E6-BF89-E598C89D58A1.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
I live in the Cascades and I wear the Yukon coat and chugach pants. I tend to wear my Attack or guide pants more often than the rain pants, the chugach pants are always in my pack so if it's really raining and I'll throw them on.
Are you pleased with the Yukon jacket? Are there any downsides that you have noticed?

After many years on the coast and in the cascades.......if you are scared of getting wet....stay home.......lol....
If you are a real hunter in the cascades it doesnt take long to sweat enough to soak all your clothing under any raingear.....
Best thing you can hope for......snow.....that way it keeps you cool while hunting and if elk are in the area it should be obvious.....
Quiet clothes are best......because it keeps you from making so much noise that the cougar will want to see what you are before they decide to attack you.........and you might as well get yourself a bear tag....should see plenty of them too.......maybe even a wolf......

26 said it best. You will be wet one way or the other. I hunted there for 40 years in WA and will only wear wool pants and coat. I might as well be warm and comfortable when wet and it is very quiet as you will be getting up close and personal in the dense cover. I have never seen raingear that is quiet enough!

I've had Cabelas I think it's the MT line up where it's quiet. I have to "recharge" the goretex with a spray but it's lasted 20 years. It's worked in Alaska, the Cascades, and as snow gear in Central Oregon. I don't know about the new stuff. I'm sure it's good if not better.

Yep...MT-50 I think is what xsn10s is talking about.....discontinued...
Best best....wool or what I used to do.....fleece pants sprayed with water repellents......and a good hat or two.....it doesn't always rain.....sometimes it absolutely pours.......lol...and an umbrella in you pack...one of the kind that shrinks to about 8" long....can also be used to hold over your head while sitting and classing areas.....but elk are big...they don't hide easily...unless they are in the timber......

After many years on the coast and in the cascades.......if you are scared of getting wet....stay home.......lol....
If you are a real hunter in the cascades it doesnt take long to sweat enough to soak all your clothing under any raingear.....
Best thing you can hope for......snow.....that way it keeps you cool while hunting and if elk are in the area it should be obvious.....
Quiet clothes are best......because it keeps you from making so much noise that the cougar will want to see what you are before they decide to attack you.........and you might as well get yourself a bear tag....should see plenty of them too.......maybe even a wolf......
One of my defining moments was walking through waist high ferns and finding a BIG pile of bear scat in the Cascades. But back to the topic. Yes it could be warm, cold, or raining. So layers of wool, poly, or silk is a good idea. As are good gloves and head gear. All wicking is best.

Oh I forgot a good pair of water proof boots and wicking socks is a good idea. I've found that thin silk sock liners alone work great in thinsulate lined boots.

One of my defining moments was walking through waist high ferns and finding a BIG pile of bear scat in the Cascades. But back to the topic. Yes it could be warm, cold, or raining. So layers of wool, poly, or silk is a good idea. As are good gloves and head gear. All wicking is best.

I really liked this entry :) I live in Washington 30 min from the Cascades and have been in them over the years. LAYERS....LAYERS!! That definitely is the key. It also can be the key to staying dry. I recommend light rain gear that you can fold up small in your pack. Then multi-layers of wicking clothing. I am allergic to wearing wool, it makes me itch like crazy. Cabelas brand is nice and less expensive than others and fair quality. So light layers of what you feel comfortable in that is able to breath. I also spent 24 years in the Army and I happen to like Army gear too. Sportsman's Guide has some nice multi country military guide gear that is interesting and affordable.

Yeah I spent three years at Ft Stewart and brought home a bunch of the light wool shirts. Not the best but they are handy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.