What method do you use wneh shoosing a powder?

DT400

So when you guys are choosing a powder for a new cartridge what criteria do you use when making your choice?

Do you search the net for what others are having luck with?

Do you look at a reloading manual and choose just what ever you have on hand? Then choose by powder weight vs fps?

Do you look at a reloading manual and choose the one the uses the least/middle/most powder to give a specific fps. IE choose the powder that has the most/least case capacity?

Do you just blindly throw a dart at your pile of powder and see where it lands?

Darrell

I use Quickload, so close to a 100% burn is important to me. Along with 95% case fill, but I refuse to shoot compressed loads anymore, or compressed enough I have to manipulate neck tension to hold seating depth.
I still shoot my share of VV N 550, but today there is no reason in my mind not to shoot temp stable powders, enough out there.
It's rare I transfer brass from rifle to rifle, so brass life means nothing to me, I still do not step on it enough to not make the life of a barrel. I hope my uber hot load days are behind me.

I also use QuickLoad. I look for the fastest powder that fills the case, while providing SAAMI max pressure, with low muzzle pressures given my barrel length and chosen bullet. From here I consider powder burn temperature as it relates to accurate barrel life. I don't see how any of this could be predicted without QuickLoad.

Thanks guys. I was just curious.

It sounds like we all do pretty much the same thing. Gather as much as info as possible through several (many) different resources and at some point quit scratching our heads and pondering this and that and just sit down at the bench and see what happens.

Quickload looks interesting but I'll have to think about it..It's pricey. But since I'm a data junkie it's tempting.

Thanks

Darrell

It sounds like we all do pretty much the same thing. Gather as much as info as possible through several (many) different resources and at some point quit scratching our heads and pondering this and that and just sit down at the bench and see what happens.

Quickload looks interesting but I'll have to think about it..It's pricey. But since I'm a data junkie it's tempting.

Thanks

Darrell
Once you do buy QL, rare you'd buy another manual, I gave most of mine away, kept Berger, and Hornady<more for case diagrams than anything.
Trust me, I still read the web. Lot of good info out there.

I found QL a waste of time.

Anyway, I look at several manuals, particularly the bullet manufacturer of the bullet I want to use.
Then I look at the 3 powders that give the highest velocities.
If those powders listed aren't common or something I've used much of, I then look elsewhere.
If any 1 powder is mentioned in the top 3 across a few manuals, I take note, if the same powders are mentioned in the top 3, then I really take note.
I like 90-110% case fill, so if a powder is less than this it is not chosen.

Cheers.

The bulk of my loads use powders that are "generally" chosen from a group of five temperature stable powders I always have on hand with a burn rate range from Varget to Retumbo. With accuracy and ES as the primary criteria, I like fill capacities from 90-100%, no compression. For the last 10 years or so, my easiest and most successful loads have been chosen conducting a Web search which almost always has included loads that use my stocked powders, and come very close to meeting my criteria. However, this approach does not stop me from trying a new powder if the search results are compelling(ie. R26).

Last edited:
I rummage around on my powder shelf and whatever falls off I use. Lol jk
Like others said all of the above, but usually seem to end up using varget, h4350 or h1000. With intentions of trying h4895, h4831, or retumbo if none of those work.
But during powder shortages or sometimes just impulse buys a person ends up with a little variety.
And I really only worry about temp insensitive powders in my lr rigs now.
I also like to research powders for a particular cartridge that seem to really work and a lot of people have luck using

I adopted QL about 10 years ago. Load for around 40 different calibers and some calibers for multiple different weapons. Best money I have spent in my reloading investments. I also buy the update disks when they are released. It has a bit of a learning curve but not extremely difficult. Once you use it you will find that you can refine your loads very well.

Thanks

Darrell

I use the SSWAG method... the semi-scientific, wild @ss guess! Like most of the others, I've had my best luck with powders that fill the case in the 90%+ range but I still try faster powders that might only give 60% fill. Every once in a while, you can score a run this way. It's dependent on so many things it can boggle the mind! Also play with different primers (I like CCI & WW) and seating depth. These two should have the least effect overall but can help squeeze that last .02" out of a load. It can be fun and/or frustrating but also rewarding!
Cheers,
crkckr

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.