What is your occupation?

arrow

I am currently in the military and have about a year left on my contract. The plan is to go to school at Montana State University in Bozeman. Over the last 4 years I have concentrated on one thing and that isn't going to really help me out in the real world. I have been pondering and talking to people about what I could major in and what I could do for a career but still not sure. I figured I would ask some of the people here with similar interests as I what they do for a living and maybe get some ideas.

Thanks,

Zack

I'm a bail bondsman. Thou would not recommend the profession. If I bade it to do over again I would go into the medical field.

Arrow,

First off let me say that a stint in the military will help you very much in the real world. I spent 3 years in the Navy back in the early 70s and that experience helped me figure out what to do for a career. I was in the Naval Air Force in a squadron that trained pilots to fly attack bombers. One day I noticed some of the guys working on the electronic stuff on the aircraft. I started asking questions, got a book or two on electronics and I was hooked. When I got out, I got a degree in electrical engineering and had a blast for the next 30 years designing electronic gizmos for the aerospace industry. My gizmos got used on rockets, space vehicles, satellites, jet aircraft, ICBMs, and lots of other stuff.

I didn't know that nobody was hiring engineers when I started school to get my degree and I probably wouldn't have cared if I did know as I loved doing this work (to me it was a hobby that I got paid to do). By the time I did graduate, there was a shortage of engineers and I could write my own ticket which of course I did.

The bottom line. Figure out what you are good at and like to do (take a test if you have to) and find a way to get paid to do it. Don't spend you life doing something you don't love or your career will turn out to be a job. Good luck.:)

Helicopter Mechanic. Served almost 6 years in the Marines and got out in 2008. Got my FAA Airframe and Powerplant Licence. The pay is good and I enjoy going to work everyday!

I'm a bail bondsman. Thou would not recommend the profession. If I bade it to do over again I would go into the medical field.
Coming up on 40 years in the medical field. I think its likely peaked. We share too many client LOL! Somebody got the idea its cheaper to keep polysubstance abusers in ICU than jail. Seriously some good careers in and out of patient care. Lots of payment issues to be sorted out. Durable medical likely leave the country over Obamacare, as well as local issues. Not saying don't just saying be informed. It's changed, and will change more.

Well,I would say you've wasted 3 years already. The miltary will pay 100% , if you are on duty. Getting 100% school paid for and a job/paycheck the same time , how much better??? lightbulb Everyone has to take requirement courses. And all in a pretty neat place to live. lightbulb Electrician, hard way to make a living. Go for it young man!!!

Arrow,
I'm a retired instrument and control technician. I did that job for 38 years. It's a good career if you like working with both your head and your hands. I came up through the apprenticeship program at a local chemical plant. Similar industries that employ instrument techs include the power industry and water and waste treatment facilities. Good luck in your endeavors and thanks for your military service commitment.

First off, thank you for your service.

I got out of the AF 5 years ago and enrolled at Boise State University. They have a Construction Management program for a Bachelors of Science. While I hated school, I loved that program. The processors in "CM" were some of the best professors on campus. It was a tight knit group of students and faculty. All of the professors knew each students name by the end of the first class they had together. The professors REALLY care about the students knowledge and about getting every single one of them a job before or upon graduation.

One of my better professors helped me get an internship with one of Idaho's largest General Contractors three years ago and I have been working with them ever since. I just graduated in December and am working on the tallest structure in Idaho. It's a pretty cool career.

If you like problem solving and teamwork with a group of hard working individuals, this is the career for you. The pay is really good, but that may be because the hours are long. We work hard, and we play hard. The transition from AF to the Construction Management career was pretty smooth. We have chains of command, utilize very similar communication tools and protocol, and we work hard every day to achieve visible results. If you are willing to travel every few months or years (depending on size of project), you can REALLY make a lot of money. There are a lot of different areas of construction that you could get into. I do primarily commercial construction (Buildings), there's Heavy Civil (Dam's, Mines, Roads), Industrial (Power Plants, Treatments Plants, Manufacturing). I love it. I don't know where you are from, but Idaho is a wonderful place to spend 4 or 5 years while going to school and the Boise State VA chapter is a really good one. If you want to ask me more questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

I spent 6 years in the Air Force fixing planes as a structural maintenance journeyman. LOVED the job and lot of opportunities for it on the outside. However My dad owns a company that I had an opportunity to get out and run for him and eventually take over so I am doing that. I also am a driver for the local privately owned ambulance service and in the process of getting my EMT card (4 months left)
I can say as someone who hires people on a semi regular basis Take the time to put together an awesome resume' When you go to get a job those people don't know you. The only thing they have to go on is your attitude, personal appearance/composure and your application/resume' and I can honestly say the guys that obviously scratched it out really quick as a formality get far less consideration than the guys who actually take the time to give accurate legible information....good luck!

24 years as a union pipefitter. I also own my own gunstock duplicating business. C.R.S. Custom Rifle Stocks. The business is much more fun than pipefitting alot warmer in the winter and alot cooler in the summer. But I made a good living pipefitting.

Look for a job that will always be in demand. I went to trade school for HVAC in 1996 and after many years of training and ongoing education i have become the General Manager. My education cost me 14k back then. My wife went to Purdue university and received her degree with broadcasting being her focus. She is now a paralegal at a law firm and I will be paying on her student loans until I die. So go figure.

Thank you for your service, Arrow.

Business degree -- help you with everything from real estate to high end computer sales.
Computer science - if your a techie
Like others have said, skills in things like HVAC and instrumentation - They can't offshore that.

I guess the ultimate goal is for you to be able to pay the bills. But this is really more of a life question than anything else. Just find something you will enjoy. For instance if you enjoy the outdoors, incorporate that into the job. I work outside a lot and hardly ever am I behind a computer at work. Just try to incorporate all the things you enjoy into the career field you may be interested in. Also it doesn't hurt to get some education along the way. My GI-Bill allowed me to have a secondary option in case my primary failed. A degree can give you more flexibility in tough times.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.