What is your hardest kicking rifle?

Funny thread!!!
I am picturing myself flinching with a lot of those guns described:D
The one that kicks the hardest for me although it is not a rife: 12 gauge, with 3 1/2" magnum shots. Ouch!!!

djtjr, when you say double are you saying you fire both rounds at the same time?

I must say the hardest recoiling rifle I own is one of my favorites. Its an old model 700 ADL rebarreled with a cdl takeoff in 35 whelen. I call it my 700 abcdl. With the 225gr ballistic tips at 2750fps, its got all the sharpness of a 7mag with the push of a 12gauge.

As my dad says, it can knock your d**k in your watchpocket!!

djtjr, I've seen pics of doubles and that's about all I know of em, so are all doubles designed so just 1 round can be fired at a time or is there any where both rounds could be fired simo w/o the rifle coming apart?

djtjr, when you say double are you saying you fire both rounds at the same time?

The old double barreled shot guns had two triggers and would on occasion fire both barrels
at one time if you were not careful where you put your fingers.

I had an Antono zolle double barrel 10 gauge and when two loads of 2 1/4 oz shells doubled
It was something to remember/see.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
My 378 wby mk5 with no brake on it. I will shoot it again when I get a brake put on it. It about knocked me off the bench first time I fired it with those new 350 smk's at 2900 fps.

My 338 win mag - never could get it to group till i ran it up to max pressure . I have shot a lot of stuff with that HARD KICKING BEAST including brown bear but i need to rechamber it into something else and put a brake on it. Next to that is the 12 ga with 3 1/2 inch shells.

BLR in 450 Marlin by far, makes the Win70 in 338 WM look tame. So the only one where the recoil gives me issues is a Blaser Ultralight single shot in 7x65R, with the very thin barrel I'm aiming at the moon after every shot.

#1 .338 Lapua, no brake. 300gr. smk's @ 2700 fps.

#2 .458 wm, no brake. 500 gr. Hornadys @ 2100 fps.

#3 .416 RM, no brake. 400 gr. Noslers @ 2400 fps.

#4 .375 H&H, no brake. 300 gr. Noslers @ 2700 fps.

But when I was in high school I learned an important lesson. Never handload with friends distracting you. We used to shoot a lot of trap after school and after a loading session as described, I got a double charge in my dad's Winchester Model 12 pump gun. I got the bird but the recoil spun me 1/2 way around. The action was locked up and ruined. I was lucky, no injuries. Gunsmith had to open the action. I could read the headstamp on the boltface. Made an impression on us impressionable kids.

Festus

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.