What Is Your Longest Shotgun Slug Big Game Kill?

What Is Your Longest Shotgun Slug Big Game Kill?

• 0 to 50 YDS

Votes: 54 17.0%
  • 51 to 100 YDS

Votes: 79 24.9%
  • 101 to 150 YDS

Votes: 76 24.0%
  • 151 to 200 YDS

Votes: 53 16.7%
  • 201 to 250 YDS

Votes: 36 11.4%
  • Over 250 YDS

Votes: 19 6.0%

• Total voters
Gotta tell you, I'd rather throw rock's than use a slug gun again.

Tried the mossberg slug gun, various pump's, 870's etc. but the best little gun I ever used was

a Stevens 20 gauge side by side using 3 inch mag's. Took a nice buck at 70 yards running,

to dumb to know better I guess, Thru and Thru, both shots. Buck piled up in short order.

I've seen to many messed up deer during slug season to enjoy it again, must be getting old.

These days I use a muzzle stuffer... My .00002

141yds, Mossberg 695, 3x9x40 lpld.
Down hill across a little valley, DRT.
The Winchester partition gold went through front shoulder and was recovered against back shoulder.

176 Yards opening morning in VA 3 yrs ago. Nice 8 point.

Encore 20 ga with Win Platinum and Nikon BDC scope.

1.5 inches at 100 for groups.

12 ga slug guns have just too much recoil and the 20s are just as fast accurate and less recoil.

BH

Female black bear (NJ,2005) @ around 70 yards, with my Rem. 1100 12 gauge and Winchester Partition Gold Sabot Slug. I spine shot her with the first shot and then finished her off with 2 shots to the boiler room.

bear.jpg

1357mag. that appears to be a nice size bear. how big, and what part of the state?
She was 2.5 years old, 209.5 lbs., and had had a litter of cubs already. No I did not shoot her with cubs. She was alone. Just 2 miles away, the state record was killed, 740 lbs!
I live near, and shot her in Stokes State Forest.

stokes state forrest is unknown to me. however i lived in bucks co pa. for the first 64 yrs. of my life. where is that in relation to bucks co.? or in terms of north, central or sout joisey?

12 ga winchester smooth bore slugbarrel with a mag sabot slug iron sights
We paced it off to around 260 yards last day of the season we were driving the swamp on the farm a big doe came running out in front of son inlaws brother and acsoss the cut bean field had my gun up waiting for him to shoot and I decided to shoot was a brodside shot I aimed way high and led it a lot, it hit low in the chest just behind the front leg 12ga hole on entry and about a 4inch hole comming out it fell and rolled got up ran another 60 yards and fell it
it was a luck shot to say the least

This winter I made my longest slug kill ever. I shot a very nice size doe at a laser measured 167 yds. My gun is a Savage 210 12 gauge with a Nikon 2-7x scope and shooting Winchester Platinum Tips 2 3/4 slugs. The situation had to be perfect for me to even attempt the shot. There was no wind. The large doe was standing braodside against a snowy hillside. I had a dead solid rest and time to confirm the range with my leica range finder. She took one shot took about 5 steps and toppled over. I hit right at the back of the lungs, almost a gut shot. Bullet passed completey through, which surprised me. This was the most exciting part of what was a horrible hunting season here in Iowa.

12 ga winchester smooth bore slugbarrel with a mag sabot slug iron sights
We paced it off to around 260 yards last day of the season we were driving the swamp on the farm a big doe came running out in front of son inlaws brother and acsoss the cut bean field had my gun up waiting for him to shoot and I decided to shoot was a brodside shot I aimed way high and led it a lot, it hit low in the chest just behind the front leg 12ga hole on entry and about a 4inch hole comming out it fell and rolled got up ran another 60 yards and fell it
it was a luck shot to say the least

You've got many firsts here.
Normally, smooth bore shotguns shoot sabot slugs into patterns rather than groups.
Hitting a deer with any rifle sighted slug gun at 260 yards would seem impossible, but on the run ??? Very impressive.
You got much better expansion than I would have predicted, both at entry and exit, for a sabot slug at that range.
Congratulations on making this most unusual shot. How much bullet (slug) drop did you experience?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.