BEST Shotgun SLUG for 32" Full Choke barrel

I have an 1897 Shotgun and wonder if I can shoot and kill a deer with a Shotgun slug? It has a 32" barrel that is FULL CHOKE?

Is it safe to do? Define safe? If memory serves the 1897 had an exposed hammer and no disconect.....I remember this because there was an old fart years ago that unloaded that thing away from anything valuable=for a reson!!
If it has any choke left shooting slugs will not help.

Is there a particular brand of slugs to use? Type? Fosters will work as good as anything.

Got lots of deer.

The first deer slug gun for me was a 1300xtr waterfowl special with a bent 32" barrel that was easy enough to straighten but what a pain to carry through the woods. A cut down to 22" barrel with rifle sights was a was put on before it went out the second year. A rifled slug barrel and saboted slugs turned it into a killin machine!
Shotguns are cheap and everyone should have a couple anyway!If you got a lot of deer=get a slug gunlightbulb

i pmed u but i cant believe none of the other members suggested cutting off the barrel to about 26" or less in order to open up the muzzle to around .680 or so...that will allow u to throw some brenneke black magic bear slugs to kill anything that walks inside of 80yds! they are very accurate in my benelli out to 150yds. pretty **** good in smooth bore.

i shoot through a modified all the time (choke tube), and i have very good accuracy. i will admit i did state the muzzle opening a litttttle tight..id ut it to around .715 or so..i will stand by the pm i sent and say that if u chop off about 6 inches then u will havw plenty of room!!!!

I'm a big fan of a sawsall but even I would think twice about cutting the barrel off of a 1897! You are still going to want sights on it and it still does not have a disconnect.
Lots of cheap shotguns in the pawn shops=cut one of them offlightbulb

the 1897 will continue to do what its been doing...the same as most of the guns in everyone's safe who posts on this forum....it sits and sits and never gets used for its intended purpose: to kill. sure he may be able to sell it one day for half of what its worth but if the man needs a slug gun i see no reason why he wouldnt he do what he wants with his shotgun thats not being used. i mean most people would agree that a 32inch barrel is tooo long on any shotgun. as far as sights drill ya a bead front sight and call it a day. my 10 gauge has a scope mounted to the barrel for slugs and buckshot but it isnt necessary. i could hit a waterbottle with a beaded sights with foster slugs out to 100. for a 12 gauge u gotttta try the brennekes though.but even the cheap winchester super x's work just fine inside of 80 yards...but i cant tell u what to do with YOUR gun but iwill tell u thats what i would do.

I just mentioned to think twice as once cut off its kinda hard to undo. I've wacked my share of barrels off but always tryed to make sure I wouldnt regret it later....
My old man needed a slug gun one year so he wacked the barrel off his old Sears robuck single shot. He has since bought a 1200 with bird and deer barrels, H&R turkey single shot and regrets cutting the barrel off that old relec that had no value to anybody but him....Even though he got a couple deer with that sawed off Peice of junk, he misses that old "Long Tom" for bird hunting like he did when he was a kid!
Heck if he was closer I would have offered him a rifled slug gun in trade for the 1897. When not usein it for bird hunting it would look great over the fireplace:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.