BEST and WORST slugs for rifled "choke"

Litehiker

I have a Benelli M1 (from the late '90s) with a pistol grip stock and short barrel with a rifled "choke" that fits Benelli threading.

->What are some fairly good slugs to use with a rifled "choke" on a smoothbore barrel?

AND

->What are No-No slugs for a rifled choke? (i.e. sabot type or "rifled" slug?)

Yeah, I know I need to shoot it to see which exact slug shoots best but I'm trying to narrow the field of possible slugs and avoid a dangerous choice as well.

->Also, are there any rifled chokes that are better than others?
I'm not at home right now so I don't know the brand of rifled choke I have.

Eric B.

I have a Remington 870. I use low powered rifle scopes and Remington extended rifled choke. 20" barrel with saddle scope mount.
Keeping it simple
Sabot type slugs did not work
Federal Truball slugs worked for me as did the cheaper Brenneke slugs
Be thinking about 1 1/2" groups @50 yds. IIRC 1" high at 50 yd would be 1 or 2" low at 100yd.
Where I hunted, western NYS was "shotgun only territory"untill recently therfore the research I did. I never did "connect" using the shotgun but that wasnt the guns fault.
Because of terrain my distance is limited to about 75 yds. I would be no better served by any rifle.
Friend of mine used a smoothbore Mossberg 500, used Winchester rifled slugs out to 75 yds. Always one shot kills for him. I'd try the TruBall and Winchester, Brenneke, All in one ounce flavor.

If you can find someone to hand load you some rounds with the Lee drive key 1 oz. pure lead slug you will be happy. At least it shot lights out in the limited experimenting I did with my Rem. 870 with a screw in extended rifled choke. Ragged hole groups at 50 yards. I did not get a chance to shoot at longer distance.

Thanks guys.

I'm taking my Benelli to the range soon to try different slugs that I have plus some of the suggested Winchester and Breneke slugs. I have only a red dot sight, no scope.

Lightfields have shot better in every gun I had with rifled choke tubes.There was never any other close

morning, I have 10 boxes of Brenneke Black Magic Magnum
1 3/8oz. rifled slug 12ga. 3" for sale if u r interested. $10.00
per box, and I pay shipping. GBOT TUM

Brenneke KO 2-3/4 work well with Browning BPS extended rifle choke. They aren't the cheapest but aren't the most expensive. I'd give them a try if I were you. I stay away from 3 inch even though it will take them. Really loosens your fillings when they go off.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.