What Is Your Longest Shotgun Slug Big Game Kill?

What Is Your Longest Shotgun Slug Big Game Kill?

• 0 to 50 YDS

Votes: 54 17.0%
  • 51 to 100 YDS

Votes: 79 24.9%
  • 101 to 150 YDS

Votes: 76 24.0%
  • 151 to 200 YDS

Votes: 53 16.7%
  • 201 to 250 YDS

Votes: 36 11.4%
  • Over 250 YDS

Votes: 19 6.0%

• Total voters
310yds Laying in prone position on ground with no wind shooting 12 gauge 3" Winchester supreme partition gold slug out of a Winchester super x3 fully rifled. 385 grain 50cal partition @ 2000fps mv, 14.5 minutes drop (zeroed at 125yds), impact velocity just under 1100, energy at impact just over 1000 ft lbs. 170" 10pt. whitetail drt. Those slugs kick hard but the x3 helps a lot with the recoil. This gun is plenty accurate to place shots at that range. Biggest problem is cost of ammo to practice. :cool:

Have shot allot at 200-250yrds. Based on my data 250 yards is about the practicle limit for my optics. My longest kill was laser range finder confirmed at 198 yards shooting 12ga 2.75" Winchester Partition Golds. The deer droped at slug impact and was DRT. Slug was a complete pass through and the tissue damage gave over whelming evidence of excellent expansion.

93 yards with a Remington 870 Wingmaster with a slug barrel. Gun was very finnickie and would only handle Brenneke slugs with superior accuracy. Anthing else would be all over the map.

First deer I ever shot. Big doe on the run with a stoeger 20ga coach gun to make it look like I was bird hunting while my dad deer hunted haha. I was 11. Hit it twice first shot gut shot 60yds and second shot dropped her at 80yds. Doubt I could do it again to save my life.

My new longest to date was a laser range finder confermed prior to the shot of 215 yards as of the 2011 deer season. Used my new favotite sabot, Federal Barnes Tiped Sabot slug. Text book standing broad side shot. At the shot the deer droped, tried breifly to regain footing but never came close.
Placed horizontal cross hair on top of deer's back, aligned vertical cross hair with deer's leg.

Also have 1-shot kills at 200 and 198. Both were bang-flops, but used Winchester Partition Golds.
I also have what are IMHO equaly imressive shots on cyotes. Droped a pair at 155yrds, and one at 177yrds. All three using Fed/Barnes Tiped Sabot slugs.

My rig at present is a first run Browning A-Bolt Hunter. Use to use my Marlin 512, but had issues with the trigger after nearly 20yrs of faithful and flawless performance.

I got my first shotgun kill this past season. It was the last night of the late shotgun hunt. A small whitetail buck stepped out at 350 yards and worked his way into 126 yards and i squeezed the trigger on my Browning maxus 28" MODB with a rifled choke tube and the buck didn't go 50 yards and bowled over in the field!

Many years ago when I was stationed in Turkey, we hunted Hogs with Shotguns. Quite often after the days hunt the Turks would point out something and ask us to try and hit it with our shotguns. I had a new S&W 12ga pump, with a slug barrel with rifle sights.

Well on this day my friend ShemShak pointed out an old dead snag about 500 yards away, up on this little plateau. We all laughed, and I said too far. ShemShak insisted so I took the shot, just guessing how high to hold over the snag. Suddenly we heard squealing, and hogs got up running in every direction all around that snag. One kept getting up and falling back down. Squealing like crazy. We ran up there, climbed the hill and found a hog about 250/275lbs with a broken spine. Before I could shoot it again the Turks turned the dogs loose. The dogs finished it off. That slug had to be falling about straight down.

I remember it was a 2 1/2" paper shell that we got from England. I did not have a lot of confidence in those shells, but they worked.

I used 125 yards for my poll, but then I remembered that the first doe I shot with my 220 was at 170 yards. However, my 125 yard shot was a head shot, so that is quite a bit harder than a center of mass hit.

The slug penetrated through 1/2" of bone just behind the eye and then came out the back of the skull where it was probably less than 1/4' thick and lodged under the skin.

I have had the same gritty action issue that everyone else mentioned, and I want to ask if everyone with the rough action has a stainless steel gun ? Because I notice that the blued ones look much smoother to me.

Prizebuck1.jpg

11-17-12 5:00pm
Encore Pro-Hunter ss w/12ga 28" pro-hunter slug barrel 1-28" twist Swift 4-12x40 AO Ammo: Winchester supreme 3" XP3 slugs will put them into one hole at 50yds 2" high at 100yds
Yards-Laser ranged at 215yds

Story: I was hunting a grassy long and narrow valley about 80yds from one side to the next and about 250yds long. I seen a doe standing there looking at me as I glanced over my shoulder. I turned to change my position and then she was gone. I picked up a small rock to throw over there to get her to move because I kn ew she didn't run off and just as I was about to throw it, I seen her clear the top edge of the hill to the valley and was running away into the open cut been field. I had my gun in my stoney point mono pod and got on her as she was running and fired, but nothing. Before I fired I could see her left rear leg floppin all over. I grabbed another slug out of the box from my pack (always have another shell or round ready) and looked up and she was still heading away towards a fence row and then stopped. At this time I took my rangefinder out and got a reading of 213yds and then I turned up the power from 4 to 12, which made a huge difference, as I got her back in the crosshairs she went a couple yards farther and into the fence row I settled and raised the crosshairs high on her back and squeezed. At the shot I could not see her from the recoil but I heard the Thaaaawhack, and I knew I hit her. She dropped right there from a spine shot. It entered on the left side behind the ribs and went up through the spine and exited at the neck and shoulder on opposite side.
Come to find out it was the same doe that a nearby hunter was tracking two days before that he had shot in the rear leg. So I felt good that I was able to finish her off from someone else wounding her. Another thing was it was a small 1 1/2 yr old doe so it was really small. I am wanting to recover the slugs to see how well they expand but it passed through to my surprise at that distance.

186 yards with an Ithica Deerslayer semi-auto smoothbore 2 3/4" shells. Slug penetrated through ribs and stopped directly on top of the heart — after disconnecting it from the rest of the circulatory system.

247 Yards with a Mossberg 500 Trophy Slugster using 3" slugs.

Pumped to be able to post on this now... Got my first shotgun kill, 96 yards on a 2y.o. buck that dropped his antlers. Remington 870 express smoothbore with an IC choke. Brenneke 1oz KO slugs really impressed me, the slug entered high on the shoulder destroying both shoulders and spine before exiting. Both shoulders felt disconnected from the body when we were dragging it out. DRT

Buano . . . when did Ithaca make a semi-auto "Deerslayer"?

The only deerslayer that I know of is a Model 37 (pump).

Impressive shot though.

Mine: 80 yards. Not very far, but deer in Upstate NY don't lollygag around out in open fields to give long shots and the timber/brush is too thick to shoot longer than that.

I finally convinced my parents to let me miss a little school to go hunting (they were both teachers). I managed to get them to let me miss my morning classes as long as I was in by 4th period. At first light I spotted a big 6 (should have been an 8) trailing a doe that came through when it was still nearly dark. He had his nose to the ground and when he stopped to lip curl, I drilled him. I gutted him, dragged him 3/4 mile and had him hanging before first period bell rang . . . no missed school.

11-87 Rem shooting Rem Copper Solids 3". Dropped like a rock.

14 yrs old, big doe. Remington wingmaster 870, bird barrel 20 ga....hit her in the head at just under 100yds. That went well beyond luck, possibly divine intervention

200 lb sow at about 90 paces. remington 11-87 12ga. smooth bore mod choke
cabelas red dot scope. shooting slugger 7/8 oz . hog was facing me, aimed for between her eyes and hit her over her right eye, black hog down !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.