What is the most hated deer rifle you owned ?

I was gifted a M38 Arisaka a long time ago. It was picked up by a Navy SeaBee at some miserable distant ugly place. The chrysanthemum on the receiver ring was untouched but no floor plate or follower. 6.5 mm. The sliding sleeve that covered the magazine was missing; the grooves on the receiver were packed with crud. The barrel was 20-22 inches long. Polygonal rifling, the bore sort of looked square. Bore might have been chrome plated. Peculiar breeching configuration, like U shaped recess for bolt to slide into, must of been a effort to machine. The safety was a knurled cap like cover at the end of the bolt. I read that many parts were manufactured in small shops, "cottage industry" ?, like hand work to with files and other tools produce stuff like accessory parts.

I never shot it & my folks gave it to somebody that liked it more than I did.

In my case it was a Model 70 feather weight Win in 270 Win. This gun hurt to shoot it. I'm talking shoulder numbness, bruised and battered. I'm a slow learner and kept it three years.
A very beat up, decrepit, and shot out surplus British .303. Open sights. Butt plate was taped on. My very first deer gun. But it was all mine! My dad laughed when I brought it home. He asked me what I gave for it and I said 10 boxes of 12ga duck loads. (1972). That should have been my warning. He almost broke ribs laughing saying, "its your funeral ". I swear that gun couldn't shoot straight even if the barrel and bullets tracked along a lazer line. Probably me with my eyes at fault. But it kicked like a mad mule and caused so much pain, I gave it away after using it twice. Never hit anything with it except dirt.🤪

Last edited:
Ruger m77 .308 rsi tang safety, the most inaccurate rifle I ever owned, it was beyond description how bad it was.

Same experience here, Ruger M77 mk11 Paddle Stock, .270WIN, tried everything, it was a minute of dinner plate at 100yards kind of rifle.
Brought it real cheap at a gun shop, soon worked out why.
Sold it to a mates cousin out west NSW, would have made a good tent peg!

Kimber Light Classic Sporter in 270WSM. While very nice looking rifle that was very well finished, felt recoil was atrocious, the action was very rough/notchy, and it was quite difficult me to shoot accurately due to the muzzle jump of its pencil-thin barrel. It was replaced by a Winchester Model 70 Supergrade sporter weight rifle in the same caliber which was a joy to shoot.

300 RUM Remington 700 stainless mountain rifle. 3rd round at the range when new foreend
jumped out of my hand. Scope broke
my shooting glasses and nicked my forehead.
Finally tamed it with a brake but is caught me off guard in the beginning since I was used to a .375 and 416 without issue. Still have it but it is only good for the first couple of cold bore shots.

I built a .30-06 as light as I possibly could. Why? Well, because I could......and I'm not real bright! However, I was smart enough to let my brother shoot it first! Handloads with 200 grain Sierra. Sold it shortly after and used part of the proceeds to replace my brother's sunglasses.

@Pdyson I feel sure they will repeal the gun control act.....right after then discontinue the temporary income tax laws and disband the ATF.