TIME - When do YOU bag most of your deer?

What time do you find the most productive in bagging deer?

• Mornings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mid-Days

• Afternoons to last shooting time

• Total voters

Lefty38-55

I saw a post like this on a bowhunting forum that I frequent and thought it might be informative here!

If you can, add details for areas or territories you hunt and the 'why?' that you prefer that time. I'll add my details and thoughts later ...

It is all over the place We typically go out and stay out all day.
We have gotten Great Ones throughout legal shooting times. Now by chance the biggest 172 inch whitetail was 3pm the 187 mulie 1pm

Majority of my 150+ deer have been in the mornings within an hour of sunrise. Early season I always tag them in the evening though.

Completely depends on how far we are into the season. Pressured deer tend to be book ends of shooting light. Rut throws everything off.
Basically, if I'm hunting, I expect to see deer. Not there to watch squirrels and birds.

Private versus public huge difference in timing.
Public I have killed most of my good bucks 11-2 midday when most hunters are gone. I also do the unthinkable and setup in the bedding areas but I am in my tree at least 1.5 hours BEFORE legal light. Hard to do but it pays off when a shooter stands up midday and you kill him there.

Private in rut is all day. Out of rut is first 2 hours and typically last hour. Killed my biggest WT this year 8:45AM which was about 1.5 hour after first legal light.

Most deer, in the evening, Biggest deer in the morning. I'm over 235 deer kills now. I spent almost 15 years bowhunting only. Killed over a hundred with a bow. Had some success. Hunting buddy is setting on 326 kills.but I've got over five decades of hunting behind me.

Based on a couple of dozen of my best whitetail bucks, it runs about 40% first 2 hours, 40% last 2 hours, and 20% mid-day. I generally try to hunt all day, particularly during the rut and late season(cold weather). My favorite time is mornings.

Vast majority within 30 minutes of sunrise on cold calm mornings. However, I'm sure I've hunted mornings 3-5 times more than evenings. Right before and right after major fronts.

Mid morning and right before dusk. My climber is so comfortable I have a hard time staying awake. I wear my safety harness with a sewn on vest with cord connected to the tree by a slip joint. Bottom of climber is attached to the seat with green parachute cord so I can't drop it. A Army camo ammo pouch on the side holds the tree attachment rope while carrying the stand. l always carry two lights in case one goes out on me. A head light and a small Harbor Freight pocket light. A good Poplar tree is best to climb, definitely not a pine, birch or hickory. Perhaps a red oak, not a white oak.

Around my home for gun season I've had most luck between 11am and 1pm. I finally figured out that hunters leaving at lunch time then coming back move the deer around at that time. Archery is best early morning just when light enough to see my sights and evening same, when I can just barely see my sights.

We kill deer during most anytime of the day, but the majority have occurred between sunrise and 0900, and between 1100 and 1400. Several have been killed near sunset, and most of those were early season bow hunting. However, my largest whitetail came at sunset with barely enough light left to make the 75 yard rifle shot. It was a New Year's eve buck coming out to feed on a harvested soybean field just ahead of a major cold front. That week's weather had been wet and warm, and bean sprouts were shooting up. Between the rut with a couple of does on the field and the fresh sprouts, that old boy lost to temptation. We had been hunting him for 3 years with only glimpses and after season sightings.