What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

I confess I didn't read every post. That said, there is no "best scope". There are best scopes for different purposes. If I was to buy a scope for GREAT glass and repeatability to $1,200 yards it would likely be a Hensoldt (Zeiss's military scopes), These are as tough as a NightForce with much better optical quality.

I never would have dreamed a couple of years ago when I started this thread that it would have been such a popular thread with so many pages and posts. Since then I have acquired many scopes but for the rifle and purpose I got this scope for I think the S&B scope was as close to the best scope on the market PERIOD for me. I didn't end up mounting it on my custom .264 win mag as I figured I would I put a mark 4 on it and am very happy with it but I bought a semi custom .300wm from Quarter Minute magnum rifles out of Lewiston Idaho, Loaded with 210 Bergers I have killed out to twelve hundred + yards and a lot of steel has been hit, I have put 5 shots in 5" several times at Deep Creek 1k range with it but when I tried to compete with it, it took 10-12"for 10 shots I quickly learned it was just a very accurate hunting rifle but not near good enough for competition and the scope was not near good or rather powerful enough for those needs, I ended up with a couple of 12-42 br night force scopes for that job so I think out of all the post written maybe the second to the las post would be the most accurate post of all written by Buano, there are many good scopes out there and many sorry scopes out there , there are many best scopes for the job intended for that person! For me at the time of this post for the rifle and original purpose of the scope there is no doubt in my mind the S&B 5-25 PF-4 MOA scope was the best scope on the market PERIOD! I hope you all have enjoyed this thread as much as I have and I learned a ton, thank you all that posted for your thoughts, ideas and suggestions.
Sincerely Wayne A Bezona.

Nightforce without any doubt. By far the most repeatable scope and by far the most durable. Glass is excellent and the service cannot be beat. I would still say Nightforce if it was the most expensive scope on the market (which it is not!) Buy a Nightforce and there is no need to look back. You will be happy with your purchase for life.

17 pages later and over a year since the last post. It's time to resurrect this thread as the BEST riflescope has been almost unanimously decided upon. And the winner is....

The USO ATACR Marksman IV

Features
Nightforce ATACR 34mm Tube
S&B PMII Glass
MOA/MOA or Mil/Mil
2.5-10x42, 3.2-17x44, 5-25x56, 15-55x52

Reticle Choices: MOAR, MOAT-T, MDMOA, P3L, P4L, H2CMR, Gen-II XR, NP-2DD

Color Choices: Black, OD Green, Coyote Tan, Chrome, and last but not least, Pea Green with P*ss Yellow Turrets

Illumination Color: Red, Green, Blue, Amber

Optional Features: FFP/SFP, built in push-button thermal imaging, Zero-Stop, improved Butler Creek flip-ups designed to withstand a 5 foot swing from a 10lbs hammer

Release Date: TBA
MSRP: Unknown

Editors Note: I don't always use riflescopes, but when I do it's the USO ATACR Marksman IVgun)

***When they release this, someone PM me so I can tell them where to mail the check:rolleyes:

Unconditional Lifetime Fully Transferable Warranty (the only exception being if stolen during a zombie apocalypse)
Proudly Assembled in the USA (parts from all corners of gods green earth)

Last edited:
It's very hard to argue against the S&B 5-25 as that scope is continually picked among independent testers for all around optics, build quality, reliability, etc. There are other companies making huge strides to offseat the mighty S&B though. Kahles is continually refining their optics and now putting up some impressive numbers like over 95% light transmission and resolution numbers that match or beat the S&B. Even the Nightforce BEAST is hard to argue against, it just hasn't been in the "field" long enough to gain a reputation for reliability and durability, which are really the only two things I believe it has to earn. Vortex has even been stepping up big time, but I don't have any hands on experience with their new offering to make any comments.

If you want the best scope period, you'd be well served to compare price and features between the S&B and a Kahles K624i.

Geb

Where do you guys get to look through all this quality glass? I don't know many people around me that has such quality glass on their rifles. I am ready to spend some serious money on a long range scope but I don't know what to buy. There are zero shops in my area that has anything like USO, NF, or SB.

How does an average Joe get to see the optics if he doesn't know anyone that has them? I really don't want to drop $2500-$3000 on something I haven't been able to touch and feel.

I'm in Northenr CA so if anyone knows of a place I can check out high end optics please let me know

Where do you guys get to look through all this quality glass? I don't know many people around me that has such quality glass on their rifles. I am ready to spend some serious money on a long range scope but I don't know what to buy. There are zero shops in my area that has anything like USO, NF, or SB.

How does an average Joe get to see the optics if he doesn't know anyone that has them? I really don't want to drop $2500-$3000 on something I haven't been able to touch and feel.

I'm in Northenr CA so if anyone knows of a place I can check out high end optics please let me know

You might give CS Tactical a call and see if you can arrange a visit to check out what they have in stock. They are located in Elk Grove, CA. I've worked with them several times and they are very friendly.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.