What is the BEST 270 for the 170 Berger?

toddc

As the title suggests I am fixing to put together a Savage with a Pac-nor tube for the Berger 170s. I like being a lil different and have been waiting a long time for the big guys to bring out some 277 stuff. I have chosen the 277 mainly as a compromise. I have a 338 for ELR. I have a 6.5 Creed for out to 1200. I have chosen the 277 to fit in between those two. A 7mm was my other choice but this is a deer gun and I don't need the bullet or gun weight that brings. A 300 is even further in that direction so the 277 it is.
My thoughts are leaning towards the 27-300WM for brass. Then I began to wonder about the Nosler as being shorter and easier for mag use. I am not a fan of Nosler brass, it is nice but too soft for my likes. Then I also considered the Weatherby, factory ammo if needed and been around forever.
Which is the best bet? Brass. Ease of loading. Velocity. Mag use.

As the title suggests I am fixing to put together a Savage with a Pac-nor tube for the Berger 170s. I like being a lil different and have been waiting a long time for the big guys to bring out some 277 stuff. I have chosen the 277 mainly as a compromise. I have a 338 for ELR. I have a 6.5 Creed for out to 1200. I have chosen the 277 to fit in between those two. A 7mm was my other choice but this is a deer gun and I don't need the bullet or gun weight that brings. A 300 is even further in that direction so the 277 it is.
My thoughts are leaning towards the 27-300WM for brass. Then I began to wonder about the Nosler as being shorter and easier for mag use. I am not a fan of Nosler brass, it is nice but too soft for my likes. Then I also considered the Weatherby, factory ammo if needed and been around forever.

A Long action 270 WSM throated for the long Berger would be a very solid choice.

A Long action 270 WSM throated for the long Berger would be a very solid choice.

Had thought of it but I'm afraid I am a horsepower guy. The 270AM has too many issues and even the STW is problematic at times. I feel the 270-300WM is probably the biggest, easiest route. The WSM or SAUM or even 27-284AI would be a great choice especially if weight or portability was a concern but this will mostly be a static position rig and like you said an LA build.
That being said, what kind of usable velocity will the WSM develop and could a 26 tube instead of 28 be used? If the velocity is close I might be swayed. I am guessing 3250 with a 28 tube on the WM.

You could look at a 270/7mm Ultra mag. You could even bump the shoulder back a bit to make it easier to fit into a mag, and a longer neck, with the 170 seated long.

You could look at a 270/7mm Ultra mag. You could even bump the shoulder back a bit to make it easier to fit into a mag, and a longer neck, with the 170 seated long.

I like the idea but I'm afraid the capacity is little more than I want to deal with in the 270, powder bridging and just general squirrelliness. Also I want BRASS. UM brass is in general something I don't want to deal with. I am an Edge guy who's gonna go over to LM next time just for the brass issues.

Read the last 20 or 30 pages of this thread http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/270-300-win-mag-now-feasible-155307/

It will give you all sorts of opinions on the faster 270s...

I am running a 270 Wby (no fire forming) (except for neck sizing at subsequent reloads) at a COAL 3.5" (I have a long mag box) with a 28", 1-9 barrel, Sendero profile w/ flutes. I have an accuracy node @ 3225fps (Magnetospeed), pushed by RL26, with the 170 Bergers...

For yuks...it will shoot 140 gr SSTs @ 3625fps...

Read the last 20 or 30 pages of this thread http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/270-300-win-mag-now-feasible-155307/

I am running a 270 Wby (no fire forming) at a COAL 3.5" (I have a long mag box) with a 28", 1-9 barrel, Sendero profile w/ flutes. I have an accuracy node @ 3225fps (Magnetospeed), pushed by RL26, with the 170 Bergers...
I have read it 3 times lol and there wasn't much Nosler experience on it which is why I started this thread. The 270-300WM info is there. The 27 Nosler I haven't been able to find much info as the search function butchers anything with Noler in in and gives you either 2000 threads or none. Great thread and I figured you might see this. It seems the Weatherby is developing nearly the same speeds as the WM.

I am running a 270 Wby (no fire forming) (except for neck sizing at subsequent reloads) at a COAL 3.5" (I have a long mag box) with a 28", 1-9 barrel, Sendero profile w/ flutes. I have an accuracy node @ 3225fps (Magnetospeed), pushed by RL26, with the 170 Bergers...

With those kinds of speeds it puts the Weatherby up there. How is the brass and whats the cost on it?

I have read it 3 times lol and there wasn't much Nosler experience on it which is why I started this thread. The 270-300WM info is there. The 27 Nosler I haven't been able to find much info as the search function butchers anything with Noler in in and gives you either 2000 threads or none. Great thread and I figured you might see this. It seems the Weatherby is developing nearly the same speeds as the WM.

Try searching Jfseaman's posts. He did a lot of work with a 24" 270 Nosler...

With those kinds of speeds it puts the Weatherby up there. How is the brass and whats the cost on it?

This is where I have been stocking up on it...10% off with first responder/.mil. 20% off just last Veteran's Day...Nosler Brass 270 WBY (50ct)

I have a "stock" Wby chamber...using the Russian Mag Rifle primers and so far, with 3 cycles on the brass (I am cycling 200 rounds of brass), no problems with the primer pockets. I just neck size the brass...

I "think" the key to safe speed with the 170 Berger in the 270 Wby is to have a longer COAL. The longest round that you can get into a Mark V box is almost 3.4" I am shooting the 170 Bergers at 3.5" COAL. The 170 is a long bullet. My mag box can accept over 3.7" COAL, but the 170 Berger would not be in the case...

Big Jake Duke was nice enough to let us semi-hijack his thread...

Had thought of it but I'm afraid I am a horsepower guy. The 270AM has too many issues and even the STW is problematic at times. I feel the 270-300WM is probably the biggest, easiest route. The WSM or SAUM or even 27-284AI would be a great choice especially if weight or portability was a concern but this will mostly be a static position rig and like you said an LA build.
That being said, what kind of usable velocity will the WSM develop and could a 26 tube instead of 28 be used? If the velocity is close I might be swayed. I am guessing 3250 with a 28 tube on the WM.

I think you could hit 3050 in the WSM with the right throat. I know they'll do right around 3050 with the 165 Matrix.

.277x68 Schuler Imp using RWS brass? I have a 6.5mm and have though about making a bigger caliber. It's basically a beltless 300wm using RWS brass so you can lean on it pretty hard. Brass is not always available but 100 rounds would wear out a barrel pretty easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts