what is the best Ammo weight

hatfield954

Does anyone have info or an idea on a good bullet weight for accuracy, shooting through a savage model 12fvss with a 26 inch barrel? I know practice and selection is the best way to find one. I haven't purchased the rifle yet and I am trying to find a starting point, before draining my pocket. Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that was for a 308 caliber.

Last edited:
The most important thing when choosing a rifle and cartridge and bullet is what is it to be used for? If the answer is deer hunting in deep woods, the bullet selection would be way different than if you were punching paper at 1,000 yds. Also rifle and cartridge selection for that matter.

-- gr8whyt

gr8whyt, that will be for hunting whitetail and maybe even a coyote. For the current hunting land that i am hunting on, I would have an average shot of 150-300 yds. I could probably get by with just 150 grain ammo. I was just curious as whether I might need to bump up to 165 or 168 in case I did have to take the longer shot. I don't know if I would be sacrificing range or knockdown by trying a heavier weight.

I used to reload for my son's .308, and we used the 150 gr. Typical shots were a little less than you mention. The 150s tamed the recoil a bit for him, for he was a pretty small fellow back then. And the 150s had no problems at all on several mulies. They all went down very quick, the longest maybe went 20 yds. I really don't think going to 165s would have made much difference. But they may carry their energy a little better if the shot would be near 300 yds. Anyway, I think that rifle and cartridge would make a fine whitetail getter. Good luck with it, and let us know if you pull the trigger on the deal.

-- gr8whyt

Thanks for the reply gr8whyt. Now all I have to do is narrow down the brand of ammo. I started pushing federal fusions through my 270. It seemed to like those better than the hornady and remington ballistic I was pushing through it before. I am going to check and see if fusion offers rounds in match ammo and might start out with those, since the 270 got happier with that round.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.