What is long range to you?

yardage an caliber/cartridage

• Total voters
I just put other and only other.
Cartridge is easy. It depends.

Long range to me and how I learned is about 600 + and extreme long range taking on past 1000y.

I further break it down to extreme long range precision where the target is 1-2 moa or even half moa and less and looking for first round impacts. Verify verify verify that dope.

I took this as a hunting question. I voted 500 as 600 wasn't an option. Assuming good atmospheric conditions, from field positions, known range, and time to prepare for the shot....I feel pretty good to 600, on a big game animal. Beyond that, with my abilities, I feel it unjust to attempt a shot on a big game animal! Our game animals deserve more respect!

For an inanimate object....1000 yards and beyond! memtb

Last edited:
I took this as a hunting question. I voted 500 as 600 wasn't an option. Assuming good atmospheric conditions, from field positions, known range, and time to prepare for the shot....I feel pretty good to 600, on a big game animal. Beyond that, with my abilities, I feel it unjust to attempt a shot on a big game animal! Our game animals deserve more respect!

For an inanimate object....1000 yards! memtb
Yes it is more to hunting, but target is ok too. Specifying as you did is very good. I agree with you, the game animals deserve enough respect that we take only shoots we can make clean fast kills with.

I think anything past 300 yards can be considered long range. This is where wind, drop, shot angle, bullet flight time, and shooter ability become factors.
Where the shooters abilities start to be a limiting factor is another consideration; that may be well beyond 300 yards.
Very true

500 yrds is long range to me. hunting a deer at that range, I would go with .243 Winchester with 100 grain Speer Grand Slam bullet up to 350 yards, beyond that, like 600 yards, I'd go for .375 H&H loads of 180 grain prowess and hope for the best.

Don't really hunt much but I would break it down like this. Short range 0-300, medium 300-700, 800-1200 extended range, 1200-1700 long range, and 1700+ ultra long range.

My main lr rifle is a a customized tikka in 7mm-08. Usually sporting 180's for anything much over 1200

In the context centerfire hunting rifles, I also tend to go along with the general definition of 600-1000 as LR, and 1000+ as ELR. Being mostly a medium game hunter(whitetail,mule deer, antelope), my standard is for a minimum of 1000FPE at 1000 yards with an expanding bullet. In well understood conditions(a rare occasion), I have effectively taken smaller samples (<125#) of these medium game animals to 1200 yards.

My terrain allows for ~500 tops. With a centerfire 8" targets are fair game in good conditions.

With my PCP air rifle, anything past 50 yards you better have the wind called just right and anything past 75 involves a good percentage of luck. This was @75 between breaths of wind. You can't see the bull due to the ~5" of drop.
KIMG0716.JPG

For generic centerfire rifles at moa or bigger targets, to me long range starts at 600. I rarely shoot under 1,000 anymore but I do shoot 600 occasionally. Its dependent upon the rifle cartridge as well. With my 17 hmr, 250+ is getting out there for that little guy. My 6.5 cm shoots to 1400. My 7mm mag I've yet to find a spot far enough to take it to the end of its supersonic range. Lots of variables here. Now for hunting I think a good poke on a animal is 400 and out. Youd better make darn sure when you pull that trigger that your spot on. You owe it to the animal your shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.