What is everyone favorite caliber for deer?

I've shot deer with lots of different cartridges. I used the 30.06 a lot and it worked fine. I got a 6.5 Creedmoor a few years ago and I have been using that. It works fine. The Creedmoor is in a lighter rifle, has less recoil, and kills deer as good as anything else I've used.

Interesting to see so many varied replies. Whitetail, in my opinion, are pretty easy to kill.

I think a 243 is sufficient for shorter ranges, and recoil sensitive shooters. I used a 243 with 87gr VMAX to anchor about 15 deer, at rages up to 350 yards. None of them took more than a couple steps.

Otherwise, I think the 6.5 craze has happened for a reason. Beyond impressive ballistic coefficients, 6.5 bullets tend to have very high sectional density as well.

For me - 6.5 Creed (120-140gr), followed by 25-06 (110 gr), and 7-08 (120-140gr)

There's no reason IMO to use a magnum or big bore cartridge on whitetail. They're just not that hard to kill. Now if you want to practice for larger game or just like a big boomer, more power to you.

Same goes for bullet selection. A premium bullet like a Barnes or Accubond, partition, federal bonded, A frame, grand slam, etc. isn't necessary for thin skinned deer. A classic cup in core bullet, hell even some varmint and target bullets perform well.

I have been using 1 of 2 rifles in 270 WIN, I have killed a lot of mule deer with them. 1st was a M700 bdl, 2nd is a T3 lite SS, it is my go to rifle. I have used the 280 Rem and love it too. Years ago I bought a 25-06 and dad latched onto it saying to my mom, "Ruth write him a check." LOL. He has killed a lot of mule deer with that rifle too.
Bottom line I would be very comfortable with any one of these 3 for mule deer. All are proven cartridges.
My current build is a 260 Rem AI, 26" bbl, Sendaro taper and fluted on a custom action. This will be my pocking toe into the 6.5mm waters.

Can't believe I only seen one mention of the 270 wsm . Unless I overlooked it . But that's my vote lots of knockdown and nice flat shooting . I'll also second the 7mm08

6.5 CM... I have used everything up to and including 300 RUM but have settled on lightweight Savage in 6.5 CM. I also use bow, crossbow, handgun 10mm G40, and muzzleloader. It's all good.

This year will be 25-06 because I owe it one. Last year had to use the wife's 1/9 twist 223 Vanguard even though I used a 55 gr. this yr it will be loaded with 75 gr SP. I dont really have a favorite, depends on the distance I think I will be shooting and how far I have to walk.

C6C4D707-8F04-4BE2-BF63-58ECABC42C66.jpeg I like the 7-08 and 6.5cm. However my daughter took this guy with her 6.5 Grendel at 275yds last year...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.