What is everyone favorite caliber for deer?

Well , My go to gun for most hunting is still my 25.06 and have taken many Deer , Moose , Bear with this gun . I bought a new 6.5 Creedmoor last year and have only had a chance to take it out once . I bought it for more long range hunting Deer ,Antalope etc. I still perfer to use the 300wm on moose, and Elk

Well hell I'll get in on this. I use a 22 short
Hahaha..i've shot several deer with my 7-08..30-06..25-06..my favorite is my TC 16in. Folding stock in 7-30 waters 120 gr.i can carry that gun anywhere..i won't shoot past 200 yes with it..

wow, a lot of variety.. as it should be. I prefer my 270 Win, or my 270 WSM. my two 270 wins love light slugs and are great to about 400 yards. my two 270 WSM's love the 140/150 classes of slugs so they get to work out to 1,000 yards. I have plans to convert one of the WSM's to a 1:7" or 1:7.5" twist. I shot the Berger 160's and 170's out of a friend's WSM and they just work for me. KW has taken his 7MM R/M and put it in the closet now that he has the 270 WSM w/ and heavy twist barrel. I am going to follow suit because I was the one that suggested the heavy twist 270 WSM but just have not gotten around to building it yet.

Out of all of my rifles I like my .280 Remington, 7mm Rem Mag, .338-06, .338 RCM, .35 Whelen, and 9.3 x 62 best for whitetail deer. With the right grain bullets and proper shot placement none of them ruin the meat. None of them have unbearable recoil, and you can hunt out to 400 yards with all of them!

I forgot my .300 Holland & Holland it's awesome too!

7mm08 or 243 in that order!! Both have been fanominal on deer sized game. 260 rem would be on my list but I have never even seen one in the stores

I was and always will be a 270 win fan. However the last few years I bought into the 6.5 Creed hype and have used one on several hogs, deer, mule deer, antelope and elk. I have to say it works as long as you do your job.

Thinking of building another 270 win though as it is my favorite.
Build with a 1:7 or 1:8 twist so you can shoot the heavier premium bullets from Berger, hammer and cutting edge.
Already a deer Slayer. Build to shoot the heavies, and entend your range.
270 130 grain Hornady SST on a muley a 200 plus yards. Destroyed him. DRT.

Attachments

• 3911.jpeg
    3911.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 114
50 bmg for trophy bucks. I hardly ever use the 338 lapua anymore, maybe just every once in a while for does and cull bucks.

Lol. I couldn't resist having a little fun with y'all.

Don't know what KyCarl calls medium range but I've killed deer out to 400+ yds with 100 gr Partitions, Solid Bases, and Barnes TTSXs out of several 25-06s and my 257 Roberts!
I use 115 gr partitions in my 2506 and use it for elk also. Awesome caliber

416 Rigby when it gets a bit lengthy in yardage for the 458 Lott. Use the Cutting Edge Raptors in 370 gr or a 400 gr safari solid between the eyes if you want to impress the does! Lol I really like a 6.5 Creedmoor, 25-06, or a good ol' 308. However, you can't go wrong with most any cartridge. Proper bullet selection and shot placement is key. I do have a sour taste in my mouth about Alabama whitetails running off with perfect and sometimes multiple perfect heart-shots with little to no blood trail by a 243. That was in the day before decent bullet variety, though. I'm sure with our options today, it would not a problem. It's just my preference for lessons learned long ago with crappy Rem core-lokts. Lol I had rather use a 6.5 with about the same powder and recoil than have that tiny bit of doubt from years ago in the back of my head.

Boy that's a hard one...I have shot several deer with my 300 win mag, .308 Win., and my 260 Remington. Multiple deer with most and 2 since getting my 260 up and running. I suppose since the 260 rem. is light in recoil it's becoming a favorite. I haven't used my .243 win yet but I always considered it a bit light for the dense woods I usually set and to light for fast brushy shots in deep woods.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.