What happened to this brass?

two years ago we had a guy show up to elk camp with his 338wm. Openning morning he was baffled at why his ammo didn't fit. When I looked at the ammo it said 338fed. Thankfully, he went home haha!

I'm a little behind the rest of the guys, but they were fired in a .300 Weatherby.
All you have to do is look at the Weatherby shoulder and know it's been shot in a
Weatherby magnum. Headspacing on the belt allowed that to happen.

Zeke

I'll bet the guy didn't know what he had done, he loaded 3 in the magazine 1 in the tube fired his rounds thought good enough and went home leaving the evidence behind, over the years I've witnessed a 223 being fired in a 220 swift took the guy a number attempts to get the thing to go bang, I'd have bet money you couldn't get the thing to fire, that guy earned himself a trip to the ER, 270 in a 280, 280 in a 06, 300 savage in a 308 Winchester, 338 federal in a 338 Winchester, 338 Winchester in a 7MM STW and another earned trip to the ER,

Not wrong caliber, but watched a guy with a muzzleloader sighting in for elk season-- target was at 50 yards-- he hit 8" right and 6 in low of the bull--- just fired the 1 shot and pronounced "that'll kill a bull" --- I sure hope he planned to hit at 25 yards or less. And there were 3 guys, the other 2 fully agreed with the shooters proclamation

We've all done dumb mistakes. Was testing loads for 3 or 4 different rifles. One was 308 and another 7mm-08. Doing fine till I got a keyhole round. 100 yds. Soon as I looked at the brass that gave me the keyhole round I saw I had fired the 7mm-08 in the 308 rifle. No damage but opened the mouth on the 7mm round to 30 cal. Course that explained the keyhole effect. I try to minimize how many I'm shooting per range visit from now on.

Hate to admit it. Lots of shooting,different guns, different ammo. I shot 3 of my wife's reload 270 with speer grand slams in my 06 that shot grand slam reloads also. Kept all 3 on a sheet of notebook paper. Didn't know until later. Thought I had some kind of scope failure that caused the awful group.

I saw a picture of a .300 Blackout supposedly fired in a .556 rifle. nothing blew up. The case fire formed to fit the chamber and the bullet swaged down to .224 and was about 3 inches long. P.O. Ackley did that experimenting and had the same results. I definately won't try it. I also know guys who will score shogun shell so it will come apart and fire the the whole forward portion of the shell out of the barrel. They swear that it works and won't hurt the shotgun. Darwinism at its best!!!!

I built two guns for my girlfriend, a 30-06 and a .243Win and she took the '06 on an elk hunt and brought the .243 ammo somehow. One of the others noticed the "funny looking bullets" when she was loading the magazine and realized what happened. Totally my fault of course..... she's a doctor by the way, and blond.

I also know guys who will score shogun shell so it will come apart and fire the whole forward portion of the shell out of the barrel. They swear that it works and won't hurt the shotgun. Darwinism at its best!!!!
I saw a guy doing that at the range, he would cut the shell almost all the way around the base with a hacksaw blade then shoot it. It was hitting the target and punching a 1" hole in paper at 50 yards like a slug but it was #7's. Not sure what choke he had but I moved to the other end of the shooting line.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.