What happened to this brass?

My buddy (just getting into reloading) called me up all excited, saying he had scored a bunch of once-fired brass for his .30-06, but it was a new kind marked _.270 Win_! He loaded it up with 165 grain .308 bullets (said the neck looked funny) and shot them all. After I told him the mistake he insisted they looked better after firing and kept using them!

They're out there.

The most common mistake a lot of old timers used to make was trying to shoot .303 Savage in an SMLE.

As previously mentioned I too love when someone is going on about their new 300 and gets ask what kind . O it's a Remington or a savage . Ok what kind of 300 . Then it's crickets for a second or 12 lol

I was at a club for meeting yesterday and found these 4 cases on bench. They are FC 300WM but what happened to the neck of this brass? I think they were shot in something other than a 300WM like a 300Wby? Thoughts?
They were shot in a .300 Weatherby. I made this mistake by shooting some 7 mm Remington magnum cases in my .300 Weatherby through a ammunition confusion situation. They all headspace on the belt and therefore will fire in each other's chambers. There was no problem chambering these because the 7 mm bullets will fit right into the 30 caliber bore. Really makes you look at your whole cards.

It's shocking how common this is. Back when I guided we would always take guys out the day before their hunt started to check zero and kinda get a feel for how each guy could shoot.

I bet 10% or more of guys had the wrong ammo. 300's of all different flavors were probably the most confused then anything Weatherby was bad also.

The worst one I remember was a watching a 180" muley slip through our fingers as a guy tried to muscle a 300 wby cartridge into a 300 wsm. He had slipped out with his buddys ammo that morning.

Odd. I wouldn't think it would headspace enough to fire. I definitely wouldn't think a 7R would fire in a 300WM chamber. Or is it headspacing off the belt?

It's shocking how common this is. Back when I guided we would always take guys out the day before their hunt started to check zero and kinda get a feel for how each guy could shoot.

I bet 10% or more of guys had the wrong ammo. 300's of all different flavors were probably the most confused then anything Weatherby was bad also.

The worst one I remember was a watching a 180" muley slip through our fingers as a guy tried to muscle a 300 wby cartridge into a 300 wsm. He had slipped out with his buddys ammo that morning.
That's kind of scary. You would think one would be wondering why the cartridge in hand was an inch longer than "normal" and grew a belt. I guess these guys just buy whatever their buddies tell them too and somehow get to the hunt without really having any idea what they are doing.

The worse one I saw was a guy shot a 270 Win in a 300 Win Mag.Took three tries and then he blamed it on the ammo until I asked him what caliber his rifle was.Brass blew up in the chamber and a few specks drew a little blood on the shooter.Another case was a guy shot some 7mags in his 300Win Mag and couldn't figure out what happened to the necks on his brass.Lol

I have a 50s era Winchester 70. Originally in 300 H&H, was rechambered to 300 WM, there being no 300 Win Mag back then. I originally thought WM meant Win Mag but a friend did a cast and found out it was 300 Weatherby Mag.

I was witness to a guy buying 7mm Mauser (prvi-partizan) ammo for his Rem Mag because it was cheaper. Like two people pointed out to him that it was not the same and he shook it off. Shop owner was gone to lunch and the lady who does the books didn't know enough to not sell it to him. This was on a Saturday of just hanging out at the LGS and sure enough about an hour later here he comes "this stuff ain't no good won't even shoot). Which kinda surprised me, I figured him for the "I sighted the gun in last year" type who wouldn't realize the problem until deer season.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.