What happened to my load?!

If are shooting multiple groups, then you aren't just shooting 3 rounds. How would you know the POI is different if you hadn't shot previous groups with the same load?

I'm saying that shooting a charge weight progression of 3 rounds per load, and trying to read tea leaves based on group size is often misleading. Even when shooting an OCW, you have the groups on either side to consider. You are actually making a decision on 9-12 rounds.

If you have a light weight sporter barrel and don't want to shoot it hot, then shoot at least 6 rounds but do it in 2 groups of 3.
We always shoot 5 shot groups personal preference but seems to work

If your not jamming in to the lands neck tension may be your difference for example my 6.5x300 ackley magnum I build would shoot new brass at 1/4 inch groups in till I reloaded them so to better my accuracy I tightened up neck tension with reloads using a custom bushing die my neck tension was .0015 now it's .0035 to .004 maybe this will help

If your not jamming in to the lands neck tension may be your difference for example my 6.5x300 ackley magnum I build would shoot new brass at 1/4 inch groups in till I reloaded them so to better my accuracy I tightened up neck tension with reloads using a custom bushing die my neck tension was .0015 now it's .0035 to .004 maybe this will help
Also with this load used Reloader 33 at 88 grains nosler 120gr at about 3650fps

Could that make that big of a difference at 100 yards?

I did look around the case mouth and see the soot ring on a lot of them is very even and then suddenly dips down towards the shoulder in one spot. I've only watched one video on it but some dude on YouTube said that correlates to neck tension and that ring should be even?

Attachments

• CAA29D3B-9E7D-45AA-B604-432CBD97B27C.jpeg
    CAA29D3B-9E7D-45AA-B604-432CBD97B27C.jpeg
    984.5 KB · Views: 79
This is what I use at 200 yds five shots at each 1" target that way you can compare each group

Attachments

• AB140244-D216-4FBA-BDE5-8B5CB0D1FC24.jpeg
    AB140244-D216-4FBA-BDE5-8B5CB0D1FC24.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 93
Could that make that big of a difference at 100 yards?

I did look around the case mouth and see the soot ring on a lot of them is very even and then suddenly dips down towards the shoulder in one spot. I've only watched one video on it but some dude on YouTube said that correlates to neck tension and that ring should be even?
I don't know about the rig I will have to look that up I do know after many 3 shot groups the neck tension made a big difference for me I don't jam to lands I got plenty of free bore but I shooting hot load with the ackley improved

You might want to try searing your loads farther off the lands. My Bergarra HMR shoot the best at .040 off. My buddies at .038. Not sure what it is about these rifles, every other rifle I have is no more than .010 and most under 005. For what it's worth I know Berger 215's are supposed to be the be all end all for a 300 WM. But I could not get them to shoot at all out of my 5R mil spec no matter what I tried. Went to the 230 otm they are like a laser. Just my experience.

If are shooting multiple groups, then you aren't just shooting 3 rounds. How would you know the POI is different if you hadn't shot previous groups with the same load?

I'm saying that shooting a charge weight progression of 3 rounds per load, and trying to read tea leaves based on group size is often misleading. Even when shooting an OCW, you have the groups on either side to consider. You are actually making a decision on 9-12 rounds.

If you have a light weight sporter barrel and don't want to shoot it hot, then shoot at least 6 rounds but do it in 2 groups of 3.
What's a OCW?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.