What factory rifle?

I have the CA ridgeline in 300 WSM for elk and absolutely love it. It's a rack driver , light , and excellent trigger. I also shoot tikka Tx3 lite in 6.5 CM for deer and antelope , pick your poison they are both great rifles , but if you went the tikka route you could have a 300 and 6.5 both for same money as the ridgeline .

If you don't reload, buy a Browning in 338 Winchester Magnum. If you need more than that, get a 375 H&H or RUM or 378 Weatherby to reach out and kill at 800yds and beyond. Expensive to shoot these unless you reload your own.

Right out of the box and economical — Savage 110, Bergara, Tikka T3x, Thompson Center. I've owned all of these and they all shot under moa with factory ammo. Hand loads can really tighten it up. There are several models and calibers to choose from with each brand that have many adjustments. Save money and get good optics. Cheap or inexpensive is a relative word for the individual.

What don't you like about your Sendero? Is it the way the rifle feels or the cartridge performance? If it's the 300 RUM, have your rifle rebarreled. A CF barrel will lighten it up a bit.
If you want a new rifle, the Seekins Havak or Fierce Fury are nice. Close to a custom rifle off the shelf. I bought a CA Ridgeline and while it shoots well, I did not like the stock and put McMillan on it so total price is almost $3k now and could have built a rifle for that.
I have a 28N and would not do another. I barely have 300 rounds down the tube and it's scorched already. I will be lucky to get 500 out of it. I'm very interested in the 300 PRC and how well Hornady will market it. Will it be around for the long haul or not?

I'm kind of with you on the feel issue. What I was an instructor long ago we recognized head leaners, neck stretchers and heads up shooters. We tried to convince them all to be heads up and bring the butt in tight to their cheek but that required changing the length of pull on their rifles and few wanted to mess with that. Grip shape and thickness was also a personal factor often depending on the size of their hands to get a comfortable grip and the reach to the trigger. The shape of the fore stock for holding was important and, probably most important, was the eye positioning for the sights, usually a scope. You shouldn't have to move your head or change body position to find the crosshairs and a clear view of the target. Shooting from a bench you can adapt to most anything but hunting off your hind legs requires a rifle that feels right.

I'm looking for a factory rifle that I can use for anything and everything, and that has the ability to reach out there at longer distances. I'm currently shooting a Remington Sendero in .300 rum, and I've killed a lot of animals with it, but I've never been able to feel completely confident in it. I've been looking at the browning hells canyon LR and the Christensen Arms Ridgeline. The ridgeline has all the features I'm looking for, but I've heard that it's not uncommon for them to have accuracy issues due to issues with the barrels. I'm also trying to decide between a .300 win and a 28 nosler. What are your guys thoughts?
I've worked at the gun counter for years, so given your info, I'd ask what made you feel "not completely comfortable"with it. I've demoed the Sendero II in 300 win mag. I liked it but would put in a new trigger. The Remington 700 5R Gen 2 was also a great shooter. I was really impressed with it out-of-the box shooting. If either came out in 300 PRC, it would be hard not to buy one. The 300 RUM is a recoil mule! I also like X-Bolts with a 24" or longer barrel. So many choices. Check out Savage, Sako, Tikka, Howa, Bergara.

Are there Precision, Longrange Capable rifles out there, these days (I have not kept up)? Rifles that do it all and weigh next to nothing? Great Glass scopes that work on a lightweight system, are under 10oz, and have all the features and resolution? Are there spiral fluted heavy varmint barrels that do it all but weigh around 2lbs?

I can think of a couple of factory, production line rifles capable of stellar performance, IF the operator is a precision handloader; but only a few. Sako TRG-42, whatever magnum Accuracy Intl is making these days, Maybe a SIG match bolt rifle. Used to be the Winchester USRAC Marksman made at their custom shop with Schneider barrel and McMillan stock. The FN-Herstal Police rifle in .300wsm is an option if shorty magnum works for your application... Lots of custom shops out there doing LR guns, but not usually with inventory ready to go. Maybe H-S Precision? McMillan Rifles, Barret, Brown? Tons of newbies that opened shops since about 2005, but how many got guns ready in inventory to sell just like you expect it to be outfitted?

If you're cool with the lack of a pin block in your Remington bolt, ie no real safety, then get with the program and go custom barrel for your 700 and maybe do a better stock. If you don't handload, time to learn. Buy a Schmidt & Bender scope and quality mount system and eliminate all the variables.

There's not really any "factory solutions" for under $4K for a decent rifle and about the same for your optic system. Buy a used Sako and rebarrel with Krieger and be done with it... AI has their rebarreling down to a system, worth the money; if you got it. Makes AI very unique and at the top of the game.

Of course, there's always the AR-10 world for precision. The AR-10 is a real alternative, but it don't appeal to the purists. Too bad, they work really well and some of the best custom shops out there make uppers that are first rate excellent.

Learn to load match quality ammunition and you'll be on the road to precision shooting...

Not sure what the price will be but this Sig Cross Rifle looks like a combination of "tactical" features while being reasonably light (6.5 or 6.8 lbs.).

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-cross-rifle.html

Folding stock adjustable for LOP and drop, either 16 or 18 inch barrels, and either 6.5 or 6.8 pounds. Comes in 308 Win, 6.5CM or the new 277 Sig Fury.

The rifle shows as not available yet so, as always, beware of the potential for early adopter issues.

If I were to get one, and I might, it would likely be the 6.5CM version. In an 18 inch barrel with a folding stock, it seems like it would be pretty handy and 18 inches still gives the 6.5CM plenty of velocity for longer range shots (it does NOT need a 24 inch barrel to be worthwhile for 90%+ hunting applications!).

Not sure about the Sig 277 Fury round. I'm always a bit leary of proprietary ammo out of the gate, but over time it might be a winner. I'll be interested to learn more.

I can't really explain it, but it's just never felt right to me. I have considered upgrading it, but I'd also like to leave it set up for my little brother as he gets older and starts hunting more.

Rifle Fit Note: This statement is individual based rather than Specific Rifle Based. I went into a shop and picked up several rifles to see how they fit/feel. I determined, the first rifle I picked up, had the squared forearm and as I squeezed it moderately to hold the rifle like I was shooting, I could not hold the rifle still, for it was wavering due to the stress in the hands to form around/ hold the forearm. I do not remember which brand. The second rifle I picked up, was the Ruger VMT model, 28" barrel. The forearms has and elliptical(rounded) shape. I could hold that rifle dead still with no wavering at all.
1st) Determine how you will be predominately holding the rifle, free-Style standing, prone, Sticks, etc. Then try to acquire different shapes of stocks and see how they fit. Have the stock trimmed to the correct pull length. Most standards stocks are generally around 13-1/2" maybe 13-3/4" pull lengths. I have a 12-5/8" pull length. The proper pull length will help keep the strain factor down when reaching for the trigger and proper eye to sight placement. Best Regards Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

I'm looking for a factory rifle that I can use for anything and everything, and that has the ability to reach out there at longer distances. I'm currently shooting a Remington Sendero in .300 rum, and I've killed a lot of animals with it, but I've never been able to feel completely confident in it. I've been looking at the browning hells canyon LR and the Christensen Arms Ridgeline. The ridgeline has all the features I'm looking for, but I've heard that it's not uncommon for them to have accuracy issues due to issues with the barrels. I'm also trying to decide between a .300 win and a 28 nosler. What are your guys thoughts?
You appear to be a long time 30 cal hunter with some specific requests. Just a suggestion: (1) choose a caliber, (2) find reputable gun smith and establish a personal relationship, (3) purchase suitable older 700 action and re-barrel to dimensions & twist desired, (4) adjust and shoot old trigger until you know what you really want, (5) play with stock until you decide what you really want and replace. Yes, year long process, but does have personal rewards. Just a crazy idea! Good luck.

I have had more than a dozen Weatherby ultra Lightweight/Outfitters in 300, 270, 257, and 240 Bee and a 7mmRem. They have ALL been very accurate with most anything I have wanted to put through them and easy to carry. The .270Wby is probably perfect, but the 300Wby is the most versatile and if I had to pick just one till St. Peter calls my Outfitter in 300B would be it.

My votes go to:
Tikka T3 line (truly any Tikka from the 595 and 695 lines up to T3)
Kimber 8400 line is surprisingly accurate and elegant.

Higher end:
Dakota Rifle Company M-76
Montana Rifle company
Cooper Rifles
Nosler rifle company

last suggestion is go with the classic.. Winchester 70. ( I own six and only one has ever needed to be rebarreled. the idiot I got it from got mad at loosing an Elk on a hunt and wrapped the barrel around a tree. I watched him do it and cringed. The best 338 Win Mag I have ever had! that is after rebarreling)

I only suggest rifles I have shot and find good to stellar.

I know I am going to catch hell from at least one person here for this; Never get a Weatherby. I have yet to see one that could shoot under 2.5".

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.