Factory Ammo! What A Pain

Colorado Luckydog

I bought a new/used Montanna Rifle Company 7 mm mag. It came with 3 1/2 boxes of Discontinued 160 grain ammo and the Leupold scope is all dialed in for it. I need to get the Leupold CDS dial setup but I want to set it up with the ammo I'll be using regularly. I want to use the Hornady 7 mm mag 162 grain ELD-X but I can't find any at all. My buddy has one box I can use to get Leupold the numbers but I'm almost hesitant to go the route because I might not be able to find anymore of the ammo! I'm brand new to the Leupold CDS scopes but now I have one and one on the way! I need to learn fast.

Armscor, the company that discontinued the ammo won't give me the recipe for it. I was going to try and hire someone to load me a bunch of it.

I wonder how long this ammo crunch is going to last!

You can pay for custom ammo and they will need the Armscor and your rifle to find what they need to duplicate or try to duplicate. To each their own for sure, and I struggle to understand when people choose a bullet/load and that is what they are going to use. The Hornady load will be available for sure in the future just shop all over for it.

The reason I want to use the Hornady load is because I have two other rifles that are shooting close to quarter sized groups at 200 yards with the same type of ammo. Now I know I might not get the same results but I'm sure hoping I will and I feel really good about it. Any recommendations on a company that will load the custom ammo? I know they are out there but I have never done it before.

Forget the CDS dial and just have a MOA turret made if it doesn't already have one. Then your covered when you switch ammo, or when you buy a totally different lot and it's faster or slower then what you had the dial cut for. It's no different, if you can dial to a cds to the 300 mark then you can dial 3.25 moa or whatever it ends up.

The reason I want to use the Hornady load is because I have two other rifles that are shooting close to quarter sized groups at 200 yards with the same type of ammo. Now I know I might not get the same results but I'm sure hoping I will and I feel really good about it. Any recommendations on a company that will load the custom ammo? I know they are out there but I have never done it before.
Bam a lam...perfect....you have some to try before you buy a case.

I would milk the ammo you have now and then hunt very hard for more ammo. I know you want the specific 162 eldx load but i would not be so picky.

Unknownmunitions.com is going to be your best bet. Contact them and they can hopefully give you a very general update and maybe will let you pre-order some ammo... good luck. 284 caliber bullets have been non- existent

Keep them CDS certificate until you find your best load. Pull all the data together and get it etched by Leupold. It is super easy to just switch back to the MOA turret when you try something new. Hornady ELDX will be back in stock at some point.

I bought a new/used Montanna Rifle Company 7 mm mag. It came with 3 1/2 boxes of Discontinued 160 grain ammo and the Leupold scope is all dialed in for it. I need to get the Leupold CDS dial setup but I want to set it up with the ammo I'll be using regularly. I want to use the Hornady 7 mm mag 162 grain ELD-X but I can't find any at all. My buddy has one box I can use to get Leupold the numbers but I'm almost hesitant to go the route because I might not be able to find anymore of the ammo! I'm brand new to the Leupold CDS scopes but now I have one and one on the way! I need to learn fast.

Armscor, the company that discontinued the ammo won't give me the recipe for it. I was going to try and hire someone to load me a bunch of it.

It seems that everyone laments the availability of ammo for their rifles. I just checked Federal for 7MM Mag and they have no less than 5 different loads available in the premium line alone. Didn't bother to check all available varieties offered there. Try this link https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/premium-centerfire-rifle/
which should take you to the Federal Premium 7MM Mag listings. You can order the ones that show available direct from them at the website above. That goes for everyone else lamenting about no ammo. It's available you just have to look for it. While you are at it you might check Sig Sauer ammo as well as Midway USA. These web sites sell at MSRP not MSRP with a plus ripoff price.

Forget the CDS dial and just have a MOA turret made if it doesn't already have one. Then your covered when you switch ammo, or when you buy a totally different lot and it's faster or slower then what you had the dial cut for. It's no different, if you can dial to a cds to the 300 mark then you can dial 3.25 moa or whatever it ends up.
Agree. I keep an MOA or Mils based turret and if I want a yardage based turret I use custom label from a company out of Utah that they print out and it wraps around my turret. The one custom lazer marked turret I have is no longer accurate because i can't get the same bullets and i'm also 100fps slower with my new load.

Thanks and I appreciate the feedback. I have the 3 1/2 boxes to see how I like the CDS dial. I'm going to call Leupold today and order the MOA turret.

Break the factory loads down you can measure and find out everything except what type of powder

I just ordered a MOA dial from Leupold. It was only 41 bucks shipped. I talked to the guy for a while and he told me the same thing you guys are saying. Either just use the MOA dial all the time or wait to get the custom dial when ammo comes back.

Last edited:
0, 0.4, 0.8, 1.6, 2.2, 2.9 …..you can always memorize your hold overs! Seriously, it is way more effective than a custom dial.

Those are mils for a 300 Sherman load that I'm moving on from….no need for a new dial.

I really only memorize out to 400 yds because I got the Kestrel tuned to the load.

Last edited: