Factory Ammo! What A Pain

When one cannot get their preferred cannon fodder, it is time to move on to what one can get. The choice is simple, look lovingly at your rifle sitting there incapable of doing it's job, or find another type of cannon fodder that is available and just by luck and by gollie, the rifle likes. Time to quit crying about things you cannot change and start doing something to make things happen. There is ammo out there at reasonable prices all one has to do is start looking for it instead of crying into your milk and cookies and saying, "Woa is me!"

Order a custom tape from customturretsystems.com

No, it's not free but it's very inexpensive, and you can swap tapes for different loads without feeling like you've "wasted" a turret.
I have yet to ever send in for a Leupold turret; I just use the CTS tapes.

When one cannot get their preferred cannon fodder, it is time to move on to what one can get. The choice is simple, look lovingly at your rifle sitting there incapable of doing it's job, or find another type of cannon fodder that is available and just by luck and by gollie, the rifle likes. Time to quit crying about things you cannot change and start doing something to make things happen. There is ammo out there at reasonable prices all one has to do is start looking for it instead of crying into your milk and cookies and saying, "Woa is me!"
Depends on what you consider reasonable I guess. Sportsmans Warehouse had 300 RUM on the shelf yesterday for the low, low price of only $119.99 with a limit of two 😂🤷🏻‍♂️
Morgantown, WV in case anyone wants it.

Last edited:
The reason I want to use the Hornady load is because I have two other rifles that are shooting close to quarter sized groups at 200 yards with the same type of ammo. Now I know I might not get the same results but I'm sure hoping I will and I feel really good about it. Any recommendations on a company that will load the custom ammo? I know they are out there but I have never done it before.
The rifle will tell you what it likes. Case in point I found a bunch of ABLR 150 grain ammo. The rifle was shooting 1/4 groups with 140 AB's, well my dumb A@& assumed it would like these. The ABLR groups are like 3 1/2 inches and here I sit with 9.5 boxes of ammunition for a 280 AI that does not like it to the tune of $295 for three boxes delivered.

Hey Teri, Thank you so much for the un-useful information that you seem to be so full of.
Everyone is in a binde because of the ammo crunch. I could look at those 10 boxes of Nosler 150 grain ABLR and pound out the bullets and reload them. One stop shopping brass and primers. I saw this coming and am sitting on a bunch of powder primers and bullets. Point is if you want a really accurate round get a press with all the trimmings and buy what you can when you can. I started back into loading last December after a break for 30 years. Even us loaders feel the crunch with primers and powder at all time highs.

As you say, I had to switch one rifle over from my beloved Hornady to Federal. It took a couple of tries but I DID find a Federal load that it liked.

An
Depends on what you consider reasonable I guess. Sportsmans Warehouse had 300 RUM on the shelf yesterday for the low, low price of only $119.99 with a limit of two 😂🤷🏻‍♂️
Morgantown, WV in case anyone wants it.
Anytime you folks down south start to feel bad about the NEW PRICES you are paying, just go online to Cabelas.ca. You will laugh until you cry at the prices we are paying and have been paying for years here in Canada, and Australia is even worse! Might make Y'all feel better! Just me!

An

Anytime you folks down south start to feel bad about the NEW PRICES you are paying, just go online to Cabelas.ca. You will laugh until you cry at the prices we are paying and have been paying for years here in Canada, and Australia is even worse! Might make Y'all feel better! Just me!
I hear you. BTW, are you guys still getting primers up there? It seems that they were shipping primers up North but refusing to let us buy any in the states. They are slowly appearing here and there but they do not last long and the prices are 2 to 3 times what we used to pay, just curious, that's all.

I hear you. BTW, are you guys still getting primers up there? It seems that they were shipping primers up North but refusing to let us buy any in the states. They are slowly appearing here and there but they do not last long and the prices are 2 to 3 times what we used to pay, just curious, that's all.
Primers are hit and miss right now here too. Because they are all STAYING IN THE STATES....LOL! But seriously we seem to have them more readily available than you but keep in mind we have about 1/9th the population to fight for them and 4-5 months of restricted shooting due to weather!

I want to set it up with the ammo I'll be using regularly. I want to use the Hornady 7 mm mag 162 grain ELD-X but I can't find any at all.

Is it you can't find it or you don't want to pay for it? It took me all of about 30 seconds with any search engine to find that ammo in-stock and available on line. It's running between $5-6 a round before shipping, but if you want to play you have to pay.

Is it you can't find it or you don't want to pay for it? It took me all of about 30 seconds with any search engine to find that ammo in-stock and available on line. It's running between $5-6 a round before shipping, but if you want to play you have to pay.
I'm willing to pay somewhat of a fair price. I just bought 80 rounds of 6.5 Cereedmoor ELDX 143 grain for 210 dollars shipped. But I'm not going to pay 6 bucks a round. I can wait. 6 bucks a round is not buying, that's being extorted.

In a way the OP is correct. When 5.7 x 28 ammo for my FN PS90 and RUGER 57 went to $60. and then $80.+ for a box of 50 I quit shooting them and saved my hoard.

Then I saw that 9 mm ammo was "relatively" inexpensive so, having both a GLOCK 17 and RUGER LC9s in 9 mm I decided to get a RUGER PC chassis model. After some M*CARBO and MAGPUL upgrades like a folding stock I now happily bang away with that gun loaded with 31 round "happy sticks".

So yeah, this ammo shortage can make one re-think firearms choices.

Last edited:
I bought a new/used Montanna Rifle Company 7 mm mag. It came with 3 1/2 boxes of Discontinued 160 grain ammo and the Leupold scope is all dialed in for it. I need to get the Leupold CDS dial setup but I want to set it up with the ammo I'll be using regularly. I want to use the Hornady 7 mm mag 162 grain ELD-X but I can't find any at all. My buddy has one box I can use to get Leupold the numbers but I'm almost hesitant to go the route because I might not be able to find anymore of the ammo! I'm brand new to the Leupold CDS scopes but now I have one and one on the way! I need to learn fast.

Armscor, the company that discontinued the ammo won't give me the recipe for it. I was going to try and hire someone to load me a bunch of it.

I wonder how long this ammo crunch is going to last!
If you're going to shoot any of that box of ammo, do it over a chronograph. That's one piece of data you must have in order to replicate (very close) with the 162 bullet you like.