Saving for a new "factory" higher end rifle. What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bigeclipse, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Bigeclipse

Bigeclipse Well-Known Member

I was contemplating a Christensen arms sporter rifle but I have been reading a lot of negative reviews. I am looking into purchasing a 308 in a lighter weight setup as my ranges will be limited to 300 yards and will be used out of blinds or tree stands. My game will be whitetails with MAYBE a shot at a black bear. I have been reading about the Browning xbolt PRO but those appear to be quite expensive $1600. I understand I can likely buy a Tikka and have all that I need but I do enjoy a quality stock as opposed to the crappy Tupperware ones. I have also contemplated a Sako A5 Roughtec pro. I also want to try and get something that I will have very little chance of needing to rebarreling and want at least 1MOA accuracy out of the gate. Thoughts?

Lunger likes this.
  2. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

3. Pulpwood

Pulpwood Well-Known Member

Winchester model 70

Nickb1075 and Heavyiron like this.
  4. Hbomb11

Hbomb11 Well-Known Member

The B-14s are dang good for the money and if you wanted to go higher your could go the begara premier series.

Lunger and the hunter like this.
  5. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Savage

Lunger, FEENIX and toddc like this.
  6. JohnnieB

JohnnieB Well-Known Member

Kimber,

We have 3 and they all 3 shoot great!

Lunger likes this.
  7. Bigeclipse

I was a diehard Savage fan until last year. I purchased my wife a Savage Ladyhunter and it just shoots pretty bad, even with reloads (best group was 1.5inches at 100 yards). It was sent back to them twice and they said their "test" rounds showed 1.25inches which was good enough for them. Well, I do not know what load they are using but I have tried 4 different types of bullets and 3 powders and nothing shot well. I would never sell it off to someone so I am going to have it rebarreled at some point in the future. Basically lost faith in Savage now.

8. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Go to the classified section and look at the gen 2 Rem milspec in 300wm that is currently listed.

It would put you where you want to be for less than half of what you are talking about spending.

The gen 2 is among the finest factory rifles Remington has ever produced.

Rum Man and jpfrog like this.
  9. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

That is unfortunate, however that is the risk we take when purchasing a factory product. I just believe Savage has a lesser degree of 'lemons' at this day and time than other large brands.

Lunger, FEENIX and Tidus56 like this.
  10. manitou

manitou Well-Known Member

Get an X-Bolt! No need to spend an additional $900.00 for that bolt handle and cerakote.
    The 700.00 X-Bolts will shoot as well as the higher end ones IMO.

Hatrick and 257Tony like this.
  11. manitou

manitou Well-Known Member

Or go to Reedssports.com and pick up the Browning Hells Canyon Speed in .308 for $965.00 right now. You can also get the long range (standard X-Bolt) model in that price range. Sign up for the VIP program to get these prices as it is free.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    schwanman and Hatrick like this.
  12. Pulpwood

Pulpwood Well-Known Member

Winchester extreme about 1050.00 sporter 825.00

13. Bigeclipse

Thanks but don’t want a heavy rifle nor such a harsh caliber for short range hunting. I already have a 7mmrem mag which shoots lights out but I hate carrying to the woods where short range shots happen due to its weight.

14. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

The Bergara B-14 comes with a sub-MOA guarantee for a MSRP of $825. Thought that would be a good deal, especially after the bad luck on the Savage.

Lunger, Tex_Hunter and the hunter like this.