What factory rifle?

Same here. But seems like the poster would rather buy off the shelf.

straightjacketarmory.com has some really cool options WELL under that. Pretty fun filter to play with on the website. If I remember right you can get a barreled action (rem 700, trued, etc) proof barrel, about any chambering you could think of, pick a trigger, pick literally everything but the stock and it's about $1500-1700. Put a stock on it and you're still under 2500 and with a pretty much custom rifle. I haven't done one through them yet but I think I'll have to give them a try. Either way it's fun to play around on there

OP might not know what he can build for that amount.

Its almost identical to H&H however H&H is far easier to buy ammo for
No, it gives us a 150-200 FPS advantage in velocity and I've had no problem Finding .375 Ruger Factory Ammo on three continents.

In N. America if you have an internet connection you can get just about any ammo you want delivered within 24-72 hours as well.

It's also a much better case to work with for wildcatting and creating new standardized rounds as well.

I'm looking for a factory rifle that I can use for anything and everything, and that has the ability to reach out there at longer distances. I'm currently shooting a Remington Sendero in .300 rum, and I've killed a lot of animals with it, but I've never been able to feel completely confident in it. I've been looking at the browning hells canyon LR and the Christensen Arms Ridgeline. The ridgeline has all the features I'm looking for, but I've heard that it's not uncommon for them to have accuracy issues due to issues with the barrels. I'm also trying to decide between a .300 win and a 28 nosler. What are your guys thoughts?

With your budget I'd say the Montana X2 or something similar would be worth looking at.

Fantastic action, basically a beefed up Model 70 clone. I currently own 2 and have had another and was very impressed with all three.

They have had some QC issues in the past but I believe those have all been resolved for several years. I had one small issue with one I bought in .375 Ruger and I had it back in less than 10 days replaced with a brand new rifle right off the line. It shoots in the .2's and 3's even with Hornady factory ammo and bit better with my reloads.

I also have a custom 7mm STW that literally eats everything I feed it and is the easiest rifle I've ever had to load for built on one of their actions.

I'm looking for a factory rifle that I can use for anything and everything, and that has the ability to reach out there at longer distances. I'm currently shooting a Remington Sendero in .300 rum, and I've killed a lot of animals with it, but I've never been able to feel completely confident in it. I've been looking at the browning hells canyon LR and the Christensen Arms Ridgeline. The ridgeline has all the features I'm looking for, but I've heard that it's not uncommon for them to have accuracy issues due to issues with the barrels. I'm also trying to decide between a .300 win and a 28 nosler. What are your guys thoughts?

Weatherby 300 MAG hands down.....

The OP also mentioned being under a $2K budget. I went through this same decision recently and purchased a Seekins Havak PH1 in 6.5 PRC ($1850). My dad also bought the same rifle, but a PH2, in a 300 PRC ($1795). Attached are photos of targets at 100 yds with factory Hornady ELD-X ammo, and the 3rd image is my 6.5 with Sierra TGK handloads. Amazing consistency out of the box, and I continue to hear similar stories from others with these rifles. Try a Havak action if you see one - it is the tightest action/lock-up on any rifle I've owned. I also have a Montana X2 in 25-06 and it shoots very similar to these rifles with handloads. You also can't go wrong with the Browning X-bolts. Since you mentioned 28 Nosler and 300 WM, the Havak might be a consideration since it is available in both calibers. Tikka's are great for the price, but 28 Nosler is not an available caliber (yet). Good luck with your choice.

Havak 6.5 1.jpg Havak 6.5 2.jpg Havak 6.5 Handloads.jpg Havak 300 PRC 1.JPG Havak 300 PRC 2.JPG

I had a lefthanded Tikka T3 in .30-06 Springsteen. The action was smoother than a surface plate. Just for that, I'd buy another and rebarrel it, putting a close-tolerance chamber in it in 6.5mm Creedmoor...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts