What do you use to clean primer pockets?

Stainless media if its time to wash them. If not this has aways worked well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210823-081653_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210823-081653_Chrome.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 62
I use stainless steel media. But I only clean primer pockets on my precision ammo. Bulk, like handgun, .223, and bulk .308 I don't touch. Not worth the time.

If you want by hand a carbon scraper works well, but not as good as stainless steel media

All my brass is primer pocket uniformed. New brass is sized, length checked and trimmed if necessary, then an ultraonoic bath to clean. Fired brass - deprimed, a walnut media tumble, resized, length checked and trimmed inecessary. Then an ultrasonic bath to clean off lube and any other residues. Double check the primer pocket, and, if needed, cleaned with either a Lyman primer pocket cleaner or an RCBS primer pocket brush depending on which I think is appropriate. Doesnt really add that much time to my reloading proecess, and works for me.

I use a primer pocket uniformer and primer pocket brush on my RCBS trim mate. Or I wet tumble after sizing/depriming. Typically if I don't wet tumble I'll clean them after trimming because it's all in the same place as my chamfer/debur tools.

Dang, reading through these, I can't believe how many people do it by hand. Brass prep is the thing I hate the most even on my trim mate. I did it all by hand for a while but decided I didn't hate myself enough to not buy a powered machine.

I use stainless steel pins, a bit of lemishine, couple of drops of dawn liquid detergent, some water and about four hours rotating in a drum case polisher. My homemade system rotates at 36 to38 revolutions/ minute. It cleans the brass like New or better and the best clean of primer pockets I know of. A quick clean with a primer pocket reamer to loosen the crud before the bath helps.

Recent Posts