What do you guys do in the off season?

I think if a person is a true outdoorsman that is in to hunting and long range shooting, as most of us are on this website, there is no official off season.
Most, who shoot a lot, reload and reloading in and of itself takes a lot of time working on the perfect load that matches your rifle. There are many varmints to shoot in most states year around. Then game scouting with cameras and spotting scopes. Until you become a true hunter and outdoorsman, you'll be asking questions like; "What do you do in the off season?"

1. Shoot, shoot, shoot, esp when I am in Colorado and bang gongs out my back door every few hours as the wind changes
2. Plan for hunts in the fall; talk to my booking agent, apply, etc.
3. Shoot PDs and trout fish in CO

Since retirement a few years ago I have no shortage of post season activities and interests to keep me busy…..Even retired, I still can't find enough time to do everything I would like to.
-Spring fly fishing for trout.
-Spring Turkey
-Rifle/pistol matches(local)
-Continuing restoration of my 1960 356 Porsche Roadster.
-Surf fishing -stripers
Along with all this, I have a large family/ that generates lots of activities that requests the grandparents participation. Finally, I am involved on a part time basis with a small start-up that's produced a new technology in the same field that I spent my career in. Figured I put +40 years of experience to some use and stay fresh.

Overall, feel blessed just to be able to feel able/healthy enough to do any of these things…

s4Q1Oy0.jpg

UqcXk4C.jpg

xvMUJYD.jpg

Off season, lol.

We fish year round. Ice fishing is coming to a close so the transition into spring fishing can be spotty. I already got my first sagerat of the season so there's that. I'll be keeping an eye out for yotes and badgers along the side of the road. Since reloading components are getting harder and more expensive I'll probably try predator hunting more than shooting rats this year. Same for target shooting.

Off season:
Buy myself a Christmas present, lately, another guitar. Then I practice 2 hours then go stare at my reload bench.
Then I go downhill ski...pray for more snow
Then I find somebody with a 4x4 with good tires and we go spring camping and maybe have a bear tag and freeze at night.
Summer can be sweet so maybe try 400 yard shots, boom.... ping.
But best time is to backpack in a ways, maybe on the Pacific crest trail?....after the skeeters are gone. Summer blows by and I put in for deer and elk tags and stare at my reload bench.
Maybe get a tag ? Maybe not....
To be continued...

Who doesn't get just a little sad when hunting season is over? Springtime for me can be somewhat depressing, perhaps its the colorless and winter torn look of the high-country I love to play in. But spring also is a new beginning of a whole new type of activities, as it begins to warm up and green begins flourish through the hills, there is still much to do. It might be shed hunting or hunting spring varmints, but here is a little project we did on what to do in the off season:

Just waiting a few more days until I can shoot this guy who is in my front yard yesterday.

Attachments

• 20220310_161114.jpg
    20220310_161114.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 58
Who doesn't get just a little sad when hunting season is over? Springtime for me can be somewhat depressing, perhaps its the colorless and winter torn look of the high-country I love to play in. But spring also is a new beginning of a whole new type of activities, as it begins to warm up and green begins flourish through the hills, there is still much to do. It might be shed hunting or hunting spring varmints, but here is a little project we did on what to do in the off season:

Coyote hunt

Recent Posts