How do you pick your Guide??

dirtboy

We've been on some deer hunt in NC and SC and Missouri. A total of about 7-8 times. I only had one opertunity in Missouri to shoot a monster and I mest that up no big deal I was 18 and my first time rifle hunting, but Its not like we were seeing deer all over. I've been to outfitters that the guides and his family that wre down hunting were shooting deer,,etc. I'm tired of picking bad spots. How do I jujde what place to go and what questions do I ask. so I stop going on these wild goose chases. Any help???

I 've been on several outfitted hunts out west. Some great, some o.k. some just bad. Even someone experienced with outfitted hunts can get on a bad one
but if you do your homework before booking help stay out of trouble.
#1. Decide what you want out of a hunt. Serious trophy or lots of opportunity to fill your tag? Good time with the boys ( drinking ) or very controlled .
#2. Contact those previous hunters! As many as possible from most recent year.
If outfitter is slow to furnish a good list - run! My first question to ask
these guys is how many times they have hunted with said outfitter. A good, established outfitter should have many repeat clients.
Next ask how many hunters per year . You can do the math to see if it adds up
to the right amount of pressure on the deer.
#3. What is the outfitters claims on success ? If they promise too much be careful.
They should have photo's they are proud to show or email ( check for recent ones )
# 4. Sometimes you can check with the area's local taxidermist. They normally know what has been going on.

Only after taking your time and doing the research should you book your hunt.
Be wary of an outfitter who tries to pressure you into a quick decision because most good ones have no trouble filling their spots.

For western hunts Carters Hunter Services are a super source of information.
its well worth the membership cost to get their recommendations.

Hey thanks for the advice. Its mainly Just me and my Dad and now my Nephew. So I'm trying to find somewhere thats good for new little hunters. I dont need to get the world record,but just something to hang on the wall maybe 140-150 range. All the hunt we went on the bucks were 3-4 pointers, Nothing remotely mature. Thanks for the advice!

I would suggest going to one that someone you know has went on. I went on a turkey hunt in Missouri that was a joke but a great one in Kansas. My buddy went on two out west and both were terible. Most of the time it's the guides that know nothing. You never talk to outfitter once there. If your looking for a good deer hunt pm me. I know of one in Kansas.

Great point made by Midwest Hunter. If you dont get to see the outfitter a lot
during the hunt, you may have a lot of disappointment. Always ask the references how available the main outfitter is during the hunt. My best experiences have been with no more than 4 to 6 hunters in camp so there is a lot of one on one with the main guy.
Another point if there is a new hunter - check the outfitters policy on wounded deer. Many consider it over if you draw blood. While there is a time and place for this policy a new hunter may be better off going elswhere.
There are plenty of places to go where reasonable expectations can be to get a shot at a 140 class buck if you hunt right. I'm taking my dad to Kansas this year. My first time to hunt Kansas- We will see how good I did my homework on this one.:)

I found one place possible for next year. Has anyone heard of High adventureranch in Missouri. I seen the pics, they have videos and the partt I like best is you dont kill or wound a animal you dont pay..lightbulb

May be alright. I don't know though. Most of the places that Ive heard about with a no kill- no pay policy are like game ranches and not exactly the fair chase hunt that I am after. This one may be different. I'd sure check them out close before I booked. I have never been on a 100% kill hunt and I know that the outfitter doesn't make a living if he dont get paid.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.