What do you guys do in the off season?

For me the biggest down time or slow time is the hottest days of summer. That's when I reload and work on rifles the most.

June to mid September is the down time here, just too hot to be out there. Do smallbore shooting and fishing mostly. Barrels don't cool down in 100°+ degrees.

September kicks off with dove hunting.

There is an off season? 😁

Hike to (stay in shape for hunting)
Shed hunt (to see who made it through the season and stay in shape)
Camp (to inventory animals and scout)
Scout (to prep for next season)
Reload ( for next season)
Shoot bow, rifles (to stay in tune for next season)
Study maps/ONX ( prep for next season)
Clean/ organize gear (for next season)
Fly fish ( to think about next season)
Ice fish ( to think about next season)
Then there are rabbit, bear and turkey to chase.
Occasional sight-seeing trip with "Headquarters Element".
Ride UTV ( ie: scouting again, lol)
Also music festivals and rideos are on the radar.
I plan on undertaking the basement finishing project this year. Also plan to build a shed... and fence the backbyard to keep predators from snacking on my dogs

Last edited:
Season closes for me and post season scouting begins! I like to scout until green up, by then turkey season rolls around.

The cold days im not scouting prior to turkey season I spend looking at maps studying areas

Summer work lots of extra hours and side hustles to support my hunting and shooting

There is an off season? 😁

Hike to (stay in shape for hunting)
Shed hunt (to see who made it through the season and stay in shape)
Camp (to inventory animals and scout)
Scout (to prep for next season)
Reload ( for next season)
Shoot bow, rifles (to stay in tune for next season)
Study maps/ONX ( prep for next season)
Clean/ organize gear (for next season)
Fly fish ( to think about next season)
Ice fish ( to think about next season)
Then there are rabbit, bear and turkey to chase.
Occasional sight-seeing trip with "Headquarters Element".
Ride UTV ( ie: scouting again, lol)
Also music festivals and rideos are on the radar.
I plan on undertaking the basement finishing project this year. Also plan to build a shed... and fence the backbyard to keep predators from snacking on my dogs
Wow, with your off season, who has time for an "In season" ?

Most of my load development is done in off season for couple reasons. Temps are more like hunting conditions so I know whatever load I develop will be GTG for hunting. And no, I don't shoot when it gets above 75 so temp has never been issue for me. Another great reason is the range is always completely empty! Have it to myself. Its great to sit there in quiet solitude and shoot the way you would hunt. I practice off cross sticks, Bogs, etc.

I get ready for salmon trolling both coho and kings so always tying new flies, rearranging gear, replacing line and leaders on all trolling rods, working on boat so this takes up quite a bit of time. Boats are never ending maintenance and updates.

But I really look forward to Jan-Mar for load work and enjoy the cold doing it. 😂 no worries of barrel heating up when 10 degrees!!!