What do you guys do in the off season?

Cast bullets, new load development, light gunsmithing, tying flies and occassionally building a new fishing rod. When weax allows shooting. Add to that spring equipment maintenance gearing up for the growing season and fishing season. Next month I'll start packing up for a spring trip north for Manitoba black bear. I find these activities and a fair bit of research/reading stretch out my hunting and fishing seasons to nearly year round.

Makes me think of my favorite quote about off seasons:

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." - Rogers Hornsby

As much as I love that idea of being so impassioned about one single thing, I sure am glad I have things to occupy my body and mind during the times when I can't partake in my favorites.

Who doesn't get just a little sad when hunting season is over? Springtime for me can be somewhat depressing, perhaps its the colorless and winter torn look of the high-country I love to play in. But spring also is a new beginning of a whole new type of activities, as it begins to warm up and green begins flourish through the hills, there is still much to do. It might be shed hunting or hunting spring varmints, but here is a little project we did on what to do in the off season:

I'm so old, it seems like the hunting seasons run together. Comes faster than I can prepare for! It use to drag on and I couldn't wait! Now I'm in no hurry to be worm food.

Getting ready for next season. Purchased a 40acre plot of wooded land and attempting to get more ladder stands for white tail deer hunting. It borders a stream so there's all types of wildlife. So far I've started a couple food plots and installed 2 ladder stands. Need to go back and cut out old trails. There's one main trail in which I can drive my truck through. Just kinda chumping at the bit for the next season.

June to mid September is the down time here, just too hot to be out there.
2004-2007 when I was on assignment in PHX for the company, I did a lot of training in those months on weekends. I had the 500 yard range at South Mountain by myself most of the times. Put up ShootNC, lock the 500 yard range gate (club rule, 1st one gets the range, use personal padlock), shot till noon.

January is for reloading and chasing coyotes. February is for tree trimming and starts fishing prep. I usually make a trip or two to the lake to make sure the boat is 100% ready. March-May is for fishing. Bass fishing until mid April, then Bass and crappie until the end of April, then I will add Saugeye to the mix. June starts the work for hunting season. Still fish every once in a while when it isn't too awful hot. Deer season opens October 1 here in Oklahoma.

I'm so old, it seems like the hunting seasons run together. Comes faster than I can prepare for! It use to drag on and I couldn't wait! Now I'm in no hurry to be worm food.
Oh this is what I do

Attachments

• E11C75F9-2F79-4A92-8EE5-90C634FF7730.jpeg
    E11C75F9-2F79-4A92-8EE5-90C634FF7730.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • EB977CA8-A5F8-463A-87CC-9A548AD2BBE5.jpeg
    EB977CA8-A5F8-463A-87CC-9A548AD2BBE5.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 53