What case cleaning method do you use?

What case cleaning method and media do you use?

• Total voters
To me this is a no brainer....I have both a Thumler Tumbler and Harbor Freight small tumbler. If I was going to do it over, I would've just bought the HF one and do small batches. Doesn't take much $$$ to get started this way. Brass looks better than new when done.

So I've got to ask all you STM fans don't you find the media separation, water and all that a real pain? I thought hard about it but fooling with all that then ending up with a bunch of wet brass.... Just not worth a little extra shine at least that is where I ended up with admittedly no real experience with the process other watching a couple You Tubes.

Whats wrong with wet brass? It will dry.

agree 100%, once I separate the pins I blow them with my air compressor and put them neck down in my loading block.........after 20 years of vibratory cleaning trying ultrasonic the STM rotary method is hands down the best option!!

So I've got to ask all you STM fans don't you find the media separation, water and all that a real pain? I thought hard about it but fooling with all that then ending up with a bunch of wet brass.... Just not worth a little extra shine at least that is where I ended up with admittedly no real experience with the process other watching a couple You Tubes.

STM removes a bunch of stuff from the inside of cartridge cases. One test we did shown an average increase in cases volume close to 1 grain by tumbling fired .300 Win Mag cases in STM.

It may be a little more work but here is why i do it

1. brass is cleaner inside and out

2. no toxic dust in my house

3. total time is less with wet versus dry for me 2 hr tumble and 3hr dry for wet, 6-10 tumble for dry and they are not clean.

4. cleaner brass in means dies don't get as dirty -- saves dies in my opinion

5. the not so humble I like how they shine

6. cleaner brass make inspection a lot easier to do inside and out.

If you go ahead and pull all the brass out of your can after tumbling with STM, if you find a piece of mesh screen that will cover the top of your canister you can drain all the water out and not lose any STM, then I just dump the STM on a rag and let it air dry, no mess, no problem.

It may be a little more work but here is why i do it

1. brass is cleaner inside and out

2. no toxic dust in my house

3. total time is less with wet versus dry for me 2 hr tumble and 3hr dry for wet, 6-10 tumble for dry and they are not clean.

4. cleaner brass in means dies don't get as dirty -- saves dies in my opinion

5. the not so humble I like how they shine

6. cleaner brass make inspection a lot easier to do inside and out.

So some good reasons listed here for sure, especially 4 & 6 for me personally. I did read on Accurate shooter that some guys didn't like because they believed the residue in the case neck actually allowed for more consistent bullet seating. Thanks for the feedback.

I did read on Accurate shooter that some guys didn't like because they believed the residue in the case neck actually allowed for more consistent bullet seating.

I would have to have this one explained to me...I don't see how residue would help anything at all. I was wondering for those using the ultrasonic cleaning method. Have you found any cheaper alternatives to say the hornady or lyman solution? I have heard of vinegar, salt, blah blah blah...but has anyone tried any weird methods that have actually worked?

I would have to have this one explained to me...I don't see how residue would help anything at all. I was wondering for those using the ultrasonic cleaning method. Have you found any cheaper alternatives to say the hornady or lyman solution? I have heard of vinegar, salt, blah blah blah...but has anyone tried any weird methods that have actually worked?

I use the Hornady One-Shot Sonic Solution. Works ok, but I DO plan on switching to an STW Rebel 17 setup soon. It uses stainless pins, 1-2 tbsp of Dawn dish soap, and 1 tbsp of LemiShine and they come out nice, shiny, bright, and clean as new.

I can't wait to order the setup. It's only about $250+shipping, which is alot less than I have in my sonic cleaner, tumbler, and sonic solution, and tumbling media setup. Plus, it cleans and shines them in one process, instead of having to dry them and then tumble-polish them, which takes me 2 days. It works, but it's becoming a chore, as much as I shoot, and as much brass as I clean...

All I know is this...when using my arbor press on clean cases, the inside of the necks exhibit alot more resistance when seating a bullet. When loading a case with a little carbon fouling on the inside of the neck it always seats more easily and consistently throughout the pressing therefore I actually like a little fouling on the insde of the necks. I really like the results of the stainless media but not sold on the fact that the steel actually peens the much softer brass in roder to clean it. I only tumble cases after 6 or so reloads with the green lyman CC media and it works pretty good and is alot gentler on my beloved lapua brass.

I have thought about getting a sonic cleaner but don't think I really need one. If I have some real dirty cases l knock the primers out and put them in a plastic peanut jar with a solution of white vinagar,water and diswashing soap. With the top off my vibrator tumbler, sit the jar on the edge of my tumbler leaning aginst the treaded rod and turn it on.This agiatates the soultion and they come out clean in about 20 to 30 minutes. They will be clean but not shine. If I want them to shine I tumble them in the corn cob with a little NU Finish car polish or just use my lee shell holder and spin them in a drill and polish with fine steel wool. I normaly only do 25 to 50 cases at a time so spinning them in a drill and polishing with fine steel wool doesn't take very long.

I use all the methods listed except the last one. It all depends on quantity and time available.

Quickie is STM or minature stainless balls. All nighter is the vibrating bowl, Lyman tan and some DuPont final finish polishing compound (much cheaper that Osso Brass polish). I use my wife's ultrasonic jewelry cleaner ocassionally.

IMO, any STM is a PITA, balls or pins.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.