what turrets do you use/recommend?

Derek M.

I have a NF scope that came with it's turrets. I have 8 Leupold scopes and was wondering what replacement knobs I should go with. I have 7 Leupolds that are 4.5x14x40 and 1 that is a Vary X II, 6x18x40.

I'd like to put the target style turrets on all of them. I've heard that the simple Stoney Points are fine, I've heard of Kenton Industry, and a few others.

I'm not well versed in this area and am trying to move fwd into the precision shooting. I've seen the Beyond Belief video, I've seen the argument on "spin a shoot" and having drop charts, etc.

I guess the toughest thing I deal with is sighting in my rifles here in Ohio or Kentucky, then hunting in Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, etc., and finding that my POI has always been different once I get there. I knew it would be but some rifles are different than others.

For instance, my 7mag was 5" low at 330 yards in KY, when I got to WY, it wouldn't even hit the target box but the windage was still centered. It turned out to be about 11" low once I got out west. I adjusted the scope for the western hunt, then when I got back, I checked it and it was an inch high at 330.

I'm not so concerned about my hunts here, I don't have any place in KY to shoot at deer beyond 400 yards, my concern is my annual western hunts.

I use one of the kenton industries knobs on both my long range outfit and my savage muzzleloader and they both are great.I can dial and shoot out to 1000 yards with my 6.5 and out to 500 with my muzzleloader. I killed a doe at 410 yards with my muzzleloader.I also live in Ky.I think you would have to know your elevation above sea level where you hunt out west in order to get your turret made. That is one of the requirements. Talk to Mark at kenton industries. thanks tim baldwin

Derek M:

I have had good luck in sending Leupolds back and having the target type turrets installed on them. If it's a 1" tube you can only have the target types installed. I have a couple of Nightforces and as you probably already know, you can not turn the Leupold turrets into anything close to the Nightforce, but you can make them a lot easier to use.

As far as the arguments you talked about with the dial for the range/conditions vs. the fixed "dial and shoot" turrets like John uses I would just say that I know of no dedicated, long to extreme range shooters that use the "dial and shoot" turrets. It's just too much of a compromise.

Get some good ballistic softare, a Palm or PC with good software on it for the field and put a lot of bullets down range. If you are going to be shooting beyond 500-600 yards I personally think you will be better off knowing the conditions of every shot and dialing for the distance. You need to make the best shot possibly, not one that is compromised by a turret that is good only under certain conditions. Yes you can use them but every time you take a shot it will be less than precise. If that's o.k. then go with what works for you. I also feel that you will have better luck with the software, Palm/PC, and related drop data etc. when it comes to the different conditions you have mentioned.

Just my opinion and you know what they are worth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.