What cartridge?

I recently cut off a 6.5 CM to 16.2 to run with a suppressor. My velocity with Hornady factory 143 ELD-X ammo is 2425. think that will work out to 400 yards if I ever get a shot that far while carrying it. I wouldn't take it if I thought that would be likely.

Wanting a 16.1 inch light bolt deer rifle. What is the most efficient caliber? 6 ARC? 8.6 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel or the ol standard 308.
Under 400 yards.
I hand load. Looking for easy carry light recoil.
If you can find a short-barreled .308, just load 130 gr Barnes TTSX or equivalent eight Hammer....plenty for deer and black bear, probably for elk. That won't recoil much. OR you could go to a 6.5 and same weight bullet, Barnes or Hammer. Get a modern case style, short, fat, efficient, to serve your 16" bbl. You can drop 30% in bullet weight using the Barnes or Hammers for the same effect, whih drastically reduces recoil.

Of those you listed, my vote would go to the 6ARC also. In addition to what others have said about the 6ARC, Hornady tested the 6ARC barrel lengths down to 12" long without a loss of accuracy. You might want to check out Hornady's pod cast. They provide a lot of great info.

If you can find a short-barreled .308, just load 130 gr Barnes TTSX or equivalent eight Hammer....plenty for deer and black bear, probably for elk. That won't recoil much. OR you could go to a 6.5 and same weight bullet, Barnes or Hammer. Get a modern case style, short, fat, efficient, to serve your 16" bbl. You can drop 30% in bullet weight using the Barnes or Hammers for the same effect, whih drastically reduces recoil.
This, in gas or bolt guns, night and day improvement over heavy weight 308 bullets to 400yd. I was mulling over 8.6 Blackout, and shot a bolt gun chambered for 375 Raptor, but I'd only do that just for fun. I would go with 6.8spc over Grendel because it's faster for same bullet weights in barrels under 16", but I'd stick with AR over bolt action for either. The only advantage of 6.5 creed would be less recoil with lower performance, though I doubt a deer would care to 400yd.

264WM Eats the CM for lunch. 160 gr PPSN at over 3200fps and 85gr HP at over 3800fps Every thing from Moose to Mice.
While this is true and I have a 264WM, the op was asking about a cartridge that's efficient in a 16" barrel bolt gun.

Neither on of those cartridges are efficient in a 16" barrel and would waste powder as a flamethrower lol.

My current 308 both have 22 in
I'm curious after all the responses, if the OP has chosen a deer rifle.
Well I have 3 308's all with 22 inch barrel, Browing, Winchester, and TC compass.
The Winchester came with a factory muzzle brake that I can install for recoil. I will then start looking at 125/130 gr bullets.
I need a shoulder replacement but am a little too young so I'm trying to avoid recoil.
I really like the options out there but probably have what I need in my safe. I say probably….. thanks everyone!

While this is true and I have a 264WM, the op was asking about a cartridge that's efficient in a 16" barrel bolt gun.

Neither on of those cartridges are efficient in a 16" barrel and would waste powder as a flamethrower lol.
Worked fine in a 24 inch barrel but now it has a 30 inch Shelen barrel.

308 Winny!!! What is not to like. . .110 to 230 grain 30 cal. bullets, you can go from mild to wild. I'm a southeast thick woods hunter and sometimes I get to hunt power line easements, cut-overs, and agricultural fields where I can get out to 350/400 yards. Great treestand rifle, walking/stalking rifle, UTV/truck rifle. The little 308 Winchester does all I could ever ask of it. I know there is faster and flatter cartridges out there. . .the 308 fills my nitch.

Tikka T3X 308 Win.
Sierra 165gr. Game King HPBT #2140
Norma brass
Fed 210M primer
42.5gr. IMR4064
2640 FPS
BTO 2.270"
1/2" to 5/8" MOA @100yds. all day every day!!!

I have no experience with any of the cartridges that you listed other than the .308. It's performance has been consistently boring in that every critter I have ever aimed it at has died a rather quick death. You'd be amazed at how a 168gr. Berger VLD will tear stuff up.