What can be done with poachers on game cams??

Many years ago where I grew up such behavior would cause his barn to catch fire: no law needed...
This isn't a Hollywood movie and that's not a good idea or even close to good advice. Committing a felony to stop a poacher? It sounds like "the way we used to take care of things" but that's not realistic. What if someone was unknowingly in that barn and was killed? Is it worth killing an innocent person to stop a poacher? You going to commit a felony then tell them you did it to stop their poaching? I'd like to see how that pans out.

Trespassing on private posted property while armed is a felony in most states.You need to talk to your local Sheriff ,Constable or Town Policeman as this is not a fish and game problem.

The deciding factor apparently is the intent to enter private property, should the property not be posted accidental entry could occur and no offense committed. To my best knowledge posting property in Montana is essential to go after trespass charges. I like to see signs that say "feel free to hunt" upon permission of owner.
I guess I'm saying if no signs posted, it's tough to prove intent if the trespasser indicates he didn't know he was in private property. I like Ohio's trespass laws. You must have written permission to be on others property. No exceptions. Never saw anyone arrested there but it's clearly in the game rules and state laws.

on the property next to my farm it is like the wild west. every year near hunting season a few elk disappear from the herd. shots during the night are not uncommon. i heard one lastnight. i have even caught people hunting out of season. the last one said with out asking "i'm checking my game camera" he had rifle and gear on .
oh, a thief torched his stolen pickup in that place and i got pictures. when he went to court one of the charges was arson. that charge may stick with you the rest of your life and could even show up on any background checks. good luck getting a job or permits.

Time to get all of the local LEO's involved then.

Somewhere I have a pic that a friend took of a sign in remote NV somewhere. It reads:

"I have firearms and a backhoe.
NO TRESPASSING"

I agree with the sentiment even if I have trouble condoning the action.

I spent some time with an African P.H. He said he was at a friend's place and they caught a poacher. They called the local game warden who arrived shortly. He looked around and noticed a backhoe. He said, "O, I see you have a backhoe. Take care of it yourself," and left.

In nearby Idaho, a land owner and others were convicted of illegally baiting and killing a bull & cow elk. Idaho fish & game placed cameras on the land owner's property and used the images as evidence.

Last edited:
Was he trespassing and is your land posted? A game warden very well may go talk to him but there is no proof he was doing anything illegal from a hunting standpoint. However, if your land is posted he could possibly be charged with trespassing by the county.
Yes it is if it's private land and he is on their land with a firearm it is illegal. He's not there birdwatching when he has a weapon in hand. And they have evidence is I think they have all the leverage for pressing charges.

A lot of good and not so good suggestions but agree to let the legal system work for you. In the meantime, contact the local WV state representative and senator and ask them to introduce the Purple Paint law. In eleven states, no signs are needed, just purple paint on trees, fence posts, or on the ground. When the perp says he didn't know about purple paint, you can say ignorance of the law is no excuse. PA just adopted this law. Saves a lot of time and effort nailing up signs that can just be torn down. Before anyone says the poachers will just paint over it, they won't. They spend their money for ammo and drugs not paint.

I live in wv sounds like you are getting the run around from DNR need to to move up the chain keep all names and times for record I think the State Police would like to be informed of these activities if you have to go to Governors office they don't need the bad press

Many years ago, I ran a hunting outfit down south. We were starting to use a buck management plan on the property, much like this case. Since this was eventually going to be a commercial hunting operation, we published a notice in the local papers explaining that we would not only pursue legal charges against anyone trespassing on the property but would file civil suits against anyone who took an animal on the property for a minimum of $50,000.00, the value of an animal taken from the property. We based that on the offspring the animal would have produced and the progeny of that offspring.

Trespassing dropped to zero and poaching stopped completely. We heard through the locals that the wives were threatening the would-be poachers with serious bodily harm if they even thought about illegally hunting on our property. Seems going to jail and paying a fine was nowhere near as scary as the thought of losing everything in court.

Time to get all of the local LEO's involved then.

Somewhere I have a pic that a friend took of a sign in remote NV somewhere. It reads:

"I have firearms and a backhoe.
NO TRESPASSING"

I agree with the sentiment even if I have trouble condoning the action.

Uhmmm, a backhoe doesn't guarantee evidence won't be found.
It merely delays, it as this guy found out:

Last edited:
Back in the days when I was about 14 yr old. Some friends of mine, father had a parcel of property of about 500 acres. People broke down the back gate. There was about 14 or so cars and pickup that were park there. It was my understanding they were all had to be towed off. That was about 15 miles in the close paved road. I bet the people had to pay a lot to get there cars out hock. It was also my understanding the cars won't run. Engine problems, I guess the cars and pickups were shot up. Damm city hunters going somewhere they didn't belong. Signs were up at the gate too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.