What can be done with poachers on game cams??

Well since he knows that you have cameras now he will probably wear a face mask now so he can't be identified. Get game cams that send the picture to your phone and when he messes up get leo and get him in the act. If he's not caught and prosecuted he will never stop.
Shep
[/QUOT
The question was... "is a game cam picture enough to be incriminating to a game warden?"

not... "do you think I should I call a game warden?"

The reason I posted is because the only evidence I have at the moment is for trespassing... which is a $100-$500 fine in WV with a slap on the wrist. Not to mention I unfortunately don't have a clear shot of his face.
I gave the game warden a call and he asked for the photos... but informed me that little can be done if there isn't a clear way of identifying him in the photos.
you said you "confronted" him and he admitted to being on your property "Hunting coyotes" at night.... so that puts him where your cameras and dead game are with a rifle and the confirm what he admitted too. LE is "good" at having a discussion with guys like this and can tease out the details that will corroborate with the evidence from your cams and hear say. The cams have time stamps. The poached game's gut piles and carcass can be examined to know when the game expired, what killed it and lead to probable cause to get a search warrant. Ie game killed same week you have photos of dude with rifle that admits to being there at that time "hunting coyotes". Imo you have evidence of more than simple trespass.

Hi all,

So if you followed any of my recent posts, you know that we're trying to start buck management on our property of 600 acres in central WV. Well one of the main issues is that we have poachers moving onto our property and killing bucks while we aren't there (property is around 1.5 hrs from where I reside). Well over the past few nights we have pictures of some guy at 3:55 am on our property with a rifle and a night vision scope. We know exactly who it is, confronted him, and he claims he was "hunting coyotes". My question is: is there anything that can be done? Is a picture from a game cam enough to give to a game warden?
Thanks!
Why the game warden and not the sheriff - or both?

Was he trespassing and is your land posted? A game warden very well may go talk to him but there is no proof he was doing anything illegal from a hunting standpoint. However, if your land is posted he could possibly be charged with trespassing by the county.
Poachers are often repeat offenders. So definitely report to the game warden. S/He may already have a "working relationship" with this trespasser.

Hi all,

So if you followed any of my recent posts, you know that we're trying to start buck management on our property of 600 acres in central WV. Well one of the main issues is that we have poachers moving onto our property and killing bucks while we aren't there (property is around 1.5 hrs from where I reside). Well over the past few nights we have pictures of some guy at 3:55 am on our property with a rifle and a night vision scope. We know exactly who it is, confronted him, and he claims he was "hunting coyotes". My question is: is there anything that can be done? Is a picture from a game cam enough to give to a game warden?
Thanks!
Sounds like a woodshed situation. More specifically the area behind the woodshed.
it could be time give the ole boy a little talkin to!

How does this guy know no one is there? Do you leave gates open when you visit your property or can you tell from the road. Had a lot of this happen on our farm we always left the gate open while we were there. Tell tell sign that you are gone when when the gate is locked. We started locking the gate always and let people see you lock it. If you can see from the road where you park vehicles you might want to leave a few there to make it seem like someone is still there. Put up video surveillance signs everywhere it will make some people think but not all. Always have a valve stem tool with you. If some one is parked on side of road next to property take valve stems out and hold on to them. It is hard to leave with 4 flat tires. Cell phones have hurt property from the stance of trespassing and poaching. Drops off are big now and just call someone to pick them up.

How does this guy know no one is there? Do you leave gates open when you visit your property or can you tell from the road. Had a lot of this happen on our farm we always left the gate open while we were there. Tell tell sign that you are gone when when the gate is locked. We started locking the gate always and let people see you lock it. If you can see from the road where you park vehicles you might want to leave a few there to make it seem like someone is still there. Put up video surveillance signs everywhere it will make some people think but not all. Always have a valve stem tool with you. If some one is parked on side of road next to property take valve stems out and hold on to them. It is hard to leave with 4 flat tires. Cell phones have hurt property from the stance of trespassing and poaching. Drops off are big now and just call someone to pick them up.

To answer your question

At the gate of our property we have a large farmhouse where we have put many signs and dummy surveillance cams. We have also hidden many game cams to try to get pics of plates as they drive through. To our surprise... no one has came through.
Decided to do some research today and found a 10 foot section of fence that has been cut down on the back side of our property. They've been driving up a power line right of way and sneaking through that hole they've cut in our fence. We put a few cams up today... hopefully we have some new pics coming soon.

(Also had a 140 class on cam this morning that we've never seen before. Hopefully these assholes don't get to him)

Last edited:
Seriously man, it's just not that hard

According to the law

If you're so active in trying to manage the game on your land then how could you not understand how to look up the law and call the DNR?

Notice that the law states that the owner can arrest a person violating this section of the law and take him before the magistrate. The owner is vested with the powers and rights of a natural resources police officer for these purposes.

Call your DNR enforcement branch and ask for clarification on how to enforce your legal rights against this guy.
Or just shoot him, old time remody..

In Wv purple paint is as good as posted signs. Also no matter what unless they have written permission to be on your property then you have grounds to stand in. I actually got a ticket 2 years ago while on our hunting lease turkey hunting . Ended up taking a copy of the lease agreement to the local office the next day and it was vetoed. But I didn't have it in my possession that morning and the officer wouldn't listen.
If you don't have a response by tomorrow at noon I'd be calling the district office . Don't know what part of Wv you're in but you can call the tip line and get quicker results to maybe. Just google Wv poacher tip line I'm sure it'll come up

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.