30-06 can still get it done

Alwas been a 7mag fan but the Tikka altra lite in 30-06 although not on my fun gun list is easy to carry and flat out shoots with imr4831 and 168 Amaxes.
I too am a bigger fan of the 7mag. I ran up on a clearance sale of this A7 as a store was going out of business. So I gave it a shot and it's more than impressed me. I have yet to find a tikka rifle or their big brother company Sako that wouldn't shoot in the 1/2 MOA range with handloads. Excellent rifles

Been in this LR rifle game for a few years and love it. Love building new rifles, new cartridges that love to stretch the tape measure. I came from a hunting tradition and the "Up North" mentality. We headed up north to do all our hunting and recreational activities. We all shot factory rifles with no customizing and no reloading. Off shelf ammo and nothing fancy. Accuracy was always first however and still is. Few years ago I decided to hunt with my old woods deer guns that I grew up using. The 308, 30-06, .270 were most of what we used. Remington 742s, 760s. Browning BAR's or Winchester 100s. These were our Northwoods deer guns. It brought back the old memories again slinging the short semi auto over my shoulder heading out to my stand. Awkward somewhat as it's been a long time since I've shot any of them. I Killed an 8 pointer at around 125 yards with a 180 grain 06 round. Ammo that has been in the safe since the 70s. It brought back my earlier years for sure. Today I think I've evolved to the rifles I use today and will predominantly shoulder them. It was nice to step back a bit and haul the old woods relic into the deer blind and harvest a deer with it. That's what this thread brings back. The old 30-06 will never leave the memories of those of us that toted one for years and or still does.
I learned how to deer hunt "Up North" in the cedar swamp on the north shore of Hubbard Lake (near Alpena). I bought a Savage 110 chambered in 30-06. It loved everything I fed it and killed a pile of deer. It's the least expensive firearm I own. I've since upgraded the stock and scope, and started handloading for it. The darn thing is a tack driver. I "rediscovered" the old '06 about a year ago when I decided to pull it out of the back of the safe. What a wonderful cartridge that is also so versatile. Reading your post about Michigan deer camp, hunting blinds, etc brought back a ton of great memories

Bought a cheap Remington 783 last month in 06 just to play around with, had lots of brass doing nothing, cleaned it up, adjusted the trigger (its not bad) and set up to play with 180-195 grain bullets, Fed 210M primers and RL-26 and RL-16. Found an moa load almost immediately with the 180s and RL-26. Not a max load and is @ 2850 fps with 180 grain Accubonds, 190 grain Bergers are not quite a accurate, but it might be just some tweaking. The Berger load holds 1800fps all the way out to 875 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.