What can be done with poachers on game cams??

If it's private property it shouldn't matter what he was hunting right? Or does this guy have right of way on the property and you just dont want him shooting bucks?

If the latter, then this isnt really poaching.

If the former, then as a landowner I wouldnt want anyone who didnt have my express permission walking around on my property, period, armed or otherwise. So yes, I would 100% give this info to the game warden. They'll almost certainly want to have a word with the guy even if they cant legally charge him with anything. The encounter alone should hopefully leave an impression on him and make him reconsider his adventures. Post the property, build a fence if you need to in order to dissuade future incursions.
No. Private property and he has no right to the property whatsoever. I think he thinks that hunting coyotes is less incriminating than hunting deer at night out of season.

Seriously man, it's just not that hard

According to the law

If you're so active in trying to manage the game on your land then how could you not understand how to look up the law and call the DNR?

Notice that the law states that the owner can arrest a person violating this section of the law and take him before the magistrate. The owner is vested with the powers and rights of a natural resources police officer for these purposes.

Call your DNR enforcement branch and ask for clarification on how to enforce your legal rights against this guy.
The world wonders why a member asks us (who don't live in WVA) when the answer was a simple phone call away ?

The question was... "is a game cam picture enough to be incriminating to a game warden?"

not... "do you think I should I call a game warden?"

The reason I posted is because the only evidence I have at the moment is for trespassing... which is a $100-$500 fine in WV with a slap on the wrist. Not to mention I unfortunately don't have a clear shot of his face.
I gave the game warden a call and he asked for the photos... but informed me that little can be done if there isn't a clear way of identifying him in the photos.

Last edited:
A friend has a plethora of game cameras on his property to track where the feral pigs are. Caught a "Campaign Against Marijuana Production" federal guy in fatigues and face paint crossing the property at night to recon one of the known grows in the area. At the Town Hall meeting after the bust they talked about how the bust had been a total surprise when my friend said "The bust wasn't a surprise to us, we have you on cameras crossing our property during your recon on XX date. We've known for weeks that it was going to happen." He said the guy turned a bit green at that.

The more cameras, the better.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.