What can be done with poachers on game cams??

Hi all,

So if you followed any of my recent posts, you know that we're trying to start buck management on our property of 600 acres in central WV. Well one of the main issues is that we have poachers moving onto our property and killing bucks while we aren't there (property is around 1.5 hrs from where I reside). Well over the past few nights we have pictures of some guy at 3:55 am on our property with a rifle and a night vision scope. We know exactly who it is, confronted him, and he claims he was "hunting coyotes". My question is: is there anything that can be done? Is a picture from a game cam enough to give to a game warden?
Thanks!
It doesn't matter what he was hunting if he is not allowed to be on your property call the game warden prosecute him for trespassing at the very least put him on the radar with the game warden

There must be some motive driving this. I remember being offered considerable sums of $ for deer heads (legally taken) to be used by interior decorators to sell to clients wanting a rustic den or whatever. Possibly, that situation might exist in this situation providing some link.

Whatever, don't get into any stuff such as causing injury or a fatality because you would be sued and a lien would be placed on your property.

Any witnesses or other documentation regarding an admission of being on your property while armed? He says, he says does not go to far in filing a complaint or convincing a judge.

Last edited:
If he is carrying a rifle, and admitted to hunting coyotes, then the fish and game can definitely site him for trespassing while hunting. You most likely wouldn't have to go through the county legal process at all. If he wasn't carrying a rifle, then the fish and game might have to refer you to the county police because they wouldn't have jurisdiction on a normal trespassing case.

Either way though, I would definitely turn it in because at the very least it might scare him enough not to do it again, and word will get out to others and may prevent others from trying to do this.

If he is carrying a rifle, and admitted to hunting coyotes, then the fish and game can definitely site him for trespassing while hunting. You most likely wouldn't have to go through the county legal process at all. If he wasn't carrying a rifle, then the fish and game might have to refer you to the county police because they wouldn't have jurisdiction on a normal trespassing case.

Either way though, I would definitely turn it in because at the very least it might scare him enough not to do it again, and word will get out to others and may prevent others from trying to do this.
Do what they do around here post picture around town say please so and so don't be on my land the law has your name and number done that here come find out it was county attorney. David

Do what they do around here post picture around town say please so and so don't be on my land the law has your name and number done that here come find out it was county attorney. David
That is the trouble in alot of places. A fellow I knew in Western VA, pillar of the community, would actually go out with the C/Os on stings. He knew great spots to set the decoy to get late night "out the window" poachers. After a successful sting one night he shot 2 out the window on the way home!!! You never know who is tied to what out there.
Another thing to consider. Many of those guys are out there poaching at 2am cause their meth habit only lets em sleep 2 hours a day. They got nothing but time to Eff with your $#!t once you pick up the fight so be ready.

Last edited:
The 2 creeps I caught on our lease had an additional $4,000 dollars each in fines added from my game camera photos which showed them gun hunting in bow season and they also lost 2 rifles and 1 crossbow. They also got extra fines for not wearing hunter orange in rifle season. The 2 together got $12,000 in fines and loss of weapons and 10 year hunting suspension. I am sure it helped that I had taken the time to meet and talk with both the county sheriff and my local ODWM officers and had their phone #'s on speed dial. Our hunt club had bought a motorized decoy and given to the ODWM the year before. Paying it forward usually pays off!

I hope you have cooperative local law enforcement. Where I grew up, going into hunting season, the sheriff actually published in the paper not to bother calling in trespassers because his office wouldn't respond. And they didn't. Sheriff's family members would band together and do massive deer drives across whole sections, parking shooters on the roads.

Hi all,

So if you followed any of my recent posts, you know that we're trying to start buck management on our property of 600 acres in central WV. Well one of the main issues is that we have poachers moving onto our property and killing bucks while we aren't there (property is around 1.5 hrs from where I reside). Well over the past few nights we have pictures of some guy at 3:55 am on our property with a rifle and a night vision scope. We know exactly who it is, confronted him, and he claims he was "hunting coyotes". My question is: is there anything that can be done? Is a picture from a game cam enough to give to a game warden?
Thanks!

if you own the land get law enforce the involved.
if you lease the land get the land owners and law enforce the involved.
personally I'd never go out of my way to confront a person armed over a deer. Trespasser armed is a story that if prosecuted will cost them money. If you run into them on your own property is another story but I'd still get law enforce the involved.
either way it's tough situation when people are a piece of property at night.
legally the law needs to be involved. legally that is....

but....
if you were to do option 2!!!! I wouldnt be on a forum asking about option 2. Deniability.

Off topic, kinda but conveniently timed. I found out that the local turds hunting the property south of me, that have always been sneaky in all their hunting, (dropping people off, stealing stands, baiting, hunting fence lines, deliberately driving deer away from me while I'm hunting) got nabbed last week. I've known for a while they've had feeders up (illegal in Indiana) for a while now, but apparently they shot something last week with a rifle, (it's archery season here) at night, and got caught in the act!

Why not put up a few SPYPOINT link cameras.
$150 each and you get 100 pics a month free sent to your phone. I use them to monitor property a lot. If you get a picture instantly call the game warden by the property. Good chance he catches him returning to the truck or in the act. Maybe not first time but he will. Especially if you ya e a good idea how he's getting In and out. Access points maybe.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.