What Caliber for 600yd Whitetail? (New rifle Build)

My 6.5x284N built on a Rem 700 LA. Easy to load, readily available Lapua brass, and lots of bullet options.
D4380786-B373-4123-9441-3E8E6205EBAF.jpeg6FE0AF84-4FC7-4BD5-9089-01687FD74B0C.jpeg

I'm looking to build a 600yd hunting rifle. I'll be starting with at Rem 700 LA left hand, trued. I'm planning on a 24" bartlein barrel. I'm not scared of wildcats or Ackley Improved either. I reload so, I'll be developing the loads. The current rifle is a 270win, but I'm thinking there is more bang for the buck in LR performance and aftermarket support. Most of my hunting is within 350yds or so, but I'm wanting a reliable option out to 600yds. This will double as range gun for some fun and probably run 2-300rds per year on the high side.

I'm leaning towards a 260rem or 7mm 08 in the LA. These guys not restricted to mag length can be pretty impressive.

I currently load for:
308, 7mm Rem mag, 7mm 08, 270 win, 223
And I have a 6.5 Creedmore on order for my son. We'll be loading for it as well.

Must haves:
-Long Range Support in brass and projectiles, at least in the manufacturing side. I'm not expecting everything to be in stock. (I'm not against fire forming good brass)
-Decent barrel life ~1800-2000rnd minimum
-Enough kinetic energy for deer at 600yds

Would like to haves:
-cross over powders or projectiles to current reloading stock
-Factory ammo options are nice, but not required.
-Something that is powder efficient
-No one ever complains about low recoil...

Feel free to add details of barrel length, twist, reamers, and load data.

Thanks very much for the info!
Well with a left handed action I think you loose like 37% of your accuracy so I'm not sure why you'd do that to yourself. JK, my #4 child is a lefty.

I think 260 would be a great choice but 600 is probably as far as I go with .260 rounds for me, beyond that I think I'd jump to 7mm something or other but I'm at sea level so everything runs out of steam pretty quick here.

I believe you have been successful in gathering plenty of options and opinions. If you would like to just have something different to play with, I completely understand. I'm a 7mm / .284 fan. I gave the 7-08 a lot of thought before building my last rifle. I ended up building a 280AI as I had never owned a AI rifle. It made me happy, but now I'm already looking for what's next. There is always something different to try. Good luck on your journey. The only limit is $$$ your willing to spend.

I'm looking to build a 600yd hunting rifle. I'll be starting with at Rem 700 LA left hand, trued. I'm planning on a 24" bartlein barrel. I'm not scared of wildcats or Ackley Improved either. I reload so, I'll be developing the loads. The current rifle is a 270win, but I'm thinking there is more bang for the buck in LR performance and aftermarket support. Most of my hunting is within 350yds or so, but I'm wanting a reliable option out to 600yds. This will double as range gun for some fun and probably run 2-300rds per year on the high side.

I'm leaning towards a 260rem or 7mm 08 in the LA. These guys not restricted to mag length can be pretty impressive.

I currently load for:
And I have a 6.5 Creedmore on order for my son. We'll be loading for it as well.

Must haves:
-Long Range Support in brass and projectiles, at least in the manufacturing side. I'm not expecting everything to be in stock. (I'm not against fire forming good brass)

Would like to haves:

Though you already have one, (me ?), personally I would go with a .270, (but that's just me). Go with your heart...maybe something totally new & different like a 7mm PRC?

This is just my opinion, but many calibers can hunt out to 600 yards. And I'm not sure where you hunt. But using myself as an example. I have been in texas open plain area and seen nice whitetail from a tree stand. I ranged it just around 627ish yards out. Did not take the shot. I could not hold steady enough from the stand. But why not try to get closer?? Just saying.

I currently load for:

Must haves:

Would like to haves:

The 6.5x284 will get it done for sure (my "truck gun" is a Ruger No.1 in 6.5 Norma). The 300 Norma mag is another good choice. I took a doe at 616 yards in SD this year with 220 ELDXs.

I love my 708. Do everything you want to do with low recoil, long barrel life.
140 Berger VLD Hunting with Staball 6.5 gets you 2975 fps (I've seen over 3000)
150 Berger Classic Hunter or ELDX with Staball 6.5 gets you 2850
The 165s lose too much speed and actually hunts shorter based on terminal velocity.
These are 270 numbers pushing 7 mag numbers with much longer barrel life and little recoil. The Staball 6.5 flipped a switch on the rifle.
This is with 26" Shilen 1:9 barrel. Consistent .250 groups. If you need brass badly, 308 range brass sizes down nicely.
708 comes into its own when you hand load.

6.5-284 is an absolutely wonderful cartridge. BI love mine. But it's a barrel whore if you like to shoot and you will with an accurate rifle. 6.5 PRC Is also a phenomenal cartridge and has sub moa factory ammo if you do your part and enough energy to drop deer and more well past 600 with a good bullet. 156 EOL works great.

I love my 708. Do everything you want to do with low recoil, long barrel life.
140 Berger VLD Hunting with Staball 6.5 gets you 2975 fps (I've seen over 3000)
150 Berger Classic Hunter or ELDX with Staball 6.5 gets you 2850
The 165s lose too much speed and actually hunts shorter based on terminal velocity.
These are 270 numbers pushing 7 mag numbers with much longer barrel life and little recoil. The Staball 6.5 flipped a switch on the rifle.
This is with 26" Shilen 1:9 barrel. Consistent .250 groups. If you need brass badly, 308 range brass sizes down nicely.
708 comes into its own when you hand load.
I got two 7-08s after I found out I can size my thousands of 308 brass to make them. Like, just run them in a 7-08 FL die and boom! There ya go! I have a 7-08 in Kimber 84 22". 120g Hammer hunters cruising 3100fps. AR10 running 120 TTSX 2900. I should have bought a 7-08 AI recently, but I figured I didn't have a 6mm yet.