What caliber upper? For new build?

The Grendel is a good cartridge, but lacks the ability to keep up ballistically with the other cartridges mention here. Most believe that a 6.5 Grendel is maybe a 300 yard deer gun. IMHO the 6AR's are only maybe 400 yard deer gun. It, 6AR'S, can accurately punch paper to 1,000 yards though.

The 6AR Turbo 40 degree can approach 243 Winchester veloity with 105 gr bullets. The WSSM's can exceed that easily. The Grendel performs best with the heavier bullets, but does not have the case capacity and bore size combination to drive the heavy bullets to the higher velocity.

I think if you want to keep hunting shots to around 300 yards it would work.

I have a freind that shoots highpower rifle competion with me that bought 2 Grendel uppers to compete out to 600 yards. He found out that they are not competitive even with the 20" barrelled 223. He has them for sale if anyone is interested.

BTW the 6AR family is based upon the 6.5 Grendel case.

Everything mentioned here will work on the AR-15 lower.

OK so here's my dilema. I'm wanting to build a new AR 15. But not in .223/5.56. I have a Model 788 in .223 a 600 in .222 and a savage model 10 predator in .223 so I don't need another. This will be used for killing paper varmits and maybe deer and antelope. So I was thinking a .243wssm from dtec or olimpic arms or a 6mm turbo 40? If I member right both have similar balistics. So what would you go with?

Go with the 6mm Turbo all of the WSSMs will burn out your barrel in less than 1,000 rounds if the bore is not chrome plated and then you might get only 1,500 rounds. The turbo will be a lot more accurate plus 5,000 to 10,000 rounds and plenty for deer & antelope. With the Turbo I don't think you have to change your lower.

joseph

What about the 6.5 Grendel? I am considering it with a bull barrel upper. I think it will work with a standard 223 lower. Just need upper, new bolt, and magazine.
I just put one together recently and like it very much. If you're specifically building it for LR hunting, I'd suggest going with one of the WSSM's and just living with the shorter barrel life as they are quite a bit more powerful. The main purpose for my Grendel was to send thousands and thousands of rounds downrange for cheap, accurate practice knowing the barrel will **** near last forever. Within a week of putting it together I had shot MOA groups at 1000 yds with it and taken a deer at 420 yds.

It's not the most flashy, but it gets the job done very well. With great Lapua brass requiring no prep (at least for me) it's very easy to load for.

If I want to shoot a fire-breathing magnum, that's what my 300 RUM is for. When I want to put some rounds downrange and improve my skills, I can shoot 5 times as many Grendel rounds in the same amount of time and not burn the barrel out in one day.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.