What are rifle (s) are you taking to elk hunt this year?

I always use my Mod 700 Classic in .35 Whelen Ackley Improved with 200X or 200TTSX. It has a baked on moly coating for waterproofing and is set in a Brown Precision High Country synthetic, Leupold 1.5x5 on top. As a spare I switch out with a BAR .270(150gr), Mod 700 30-06(168TSX), Mod 700 7mm Rem Mag( 160 to 175s) or a Ruger 338 Federal( 200 Speer). My Whelen AI is my pardner, it always goes first! I put it in a CDL wood stock for late winter cow elk hunts :)

Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to hunt Elk here in Germany but I do hunt Hirsch (Red Deer) which are a little smaller and therefore weigh less. I usually take 2 rifles on my hunts, a .308 (Tikka T3) and a 30.06 (Weatherby Vanguard or Mossberg 4x4). I have Zeiss glass on the Tikka & Mossberg, Bushnell on the Weatherby. I've had great deer hunting success with all three so there is no concern that this season won't be more of the same. Good hunting to all of you or as we say here 'Waidmansheil'. :D

I'll be hunting Elk in SW Montana with my Kimber 84L in 280 Ackley improved NF 2.5 X 10 with 150 grain Nosler Accubond long range bullets at 3000 fps +- this will be my first Elk hunt also I'm hunting solo living out of a backpack.

I'm taking my 300WM for my CO hunt (in front). I've been dialing in a load this summer with 190 Bergers @ 3000fps. Should be good medicine out to 800 or so.I'm using it for Mule Deer too.

159688435.jpg

I drew my once in a lifetime elk tag for ND. As residents, we have about a 1% chance of ever drawing a bull tag. It's not a preference point system so it's pure luck.

For this hunt, I took my SSG 280 AI loaded up with 168 Berger Classic hunters for packing and my SSG 300 Jazz loaded up with 215 Bergers for the really long shots.

I took a bull in Wyoming with my 300 Jazz last year so I really wanted to take a bull with my 280 AI.

So on September 6th, that is exactly what I did. The bull presented me with a perfectly broadside, 350 yard shot. I shot him in the high shoulder and he didn't go more than 50 feet.

The damage was more than I expected. The bullet didn't exit and the internal damage was extensive. I will not hesitate to use it on my next elk hunt.

He grossed 360 1/8

Attachments

• 2015 ND Elk.jpg
    2015 ND Elk.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 86
I drew my once in a lifetime elk tag for ND. As residents, we have about a 1% chance of ever drawing a bull tag. It's not a preference point system so it's pure luck.

For this hunt, I took my SSG 280 AI loaded up with 168 Berger Classic hunters for packing and my SSG 300 Jazz loaded up with 215 Bergers for the really long shots.

I took a bull in Wyoming with my 300 Jazz last year so I really wanted to take a bull with my 280 AI.

So on September 6th, that is exactly what I did. The bull presented me with a perfectly broadside, 350 yard shot. I shot him in the high shoulder and he didn't go more than 50 feet.

The damage was more than I expected. The bullet didn't exit and the internal damage was extensive. I will not hesitate to use it on my next elk hunt.

He grossed 360 1/8

Congratulations. That is a monster. You are talking Sept. 2015, like last week right?

I always take two a s well!!

1.Defensive Edge 338 edge canyon rifle for when I go long
2. Light weight version of the canyon rifle in 7mm stw for packing

Nice, what grain are you using on the 338 Edge?
My son and I are will be using 338 win mags using 200 grain, one Boss stalker and one M77

Wow, that's going to leave a mark. Muzzle break or Recoil pad? What's your personal effective hunting range? We not tagged anything more than 350yrds We are going to a LR class this fall, we hope to increase our range by at least 200 yrds.

Here's a pic of a six point I hit last year at just shy of 500. Not a 360, but average for us here in North Idaho. ...:). This was entry side with 300 SMK. He was quartering away and I aimed high shoulder. Dropped right where he stood. We use a rope winch now, so got him out whole. I feel pretty confident to 800-900 if conditions are good.

Where are you guys in Idaho?

Marcus

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 89
Oops....grabbed the wrong pic....that was my wolf shot at 25 yards with the 300 RUM. Taxidermist is still stitching him up....lol....here's the bull...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 85
rem 700 - .300wm w/26 kreiger SS fluted 190 Berger vld
rem 700 - .280 Rem, mountain rifle 140 accubonds

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.