What action would you use.

Go with the Remington. A gunsmith will have to fit a barrel to it as there is no one barrel fits all for a Remington. You should want nothing less. A trued remington is a wonderfull start to a great Long Range rifle.

The biggest concern I would have right now is will it be ready for season? Load development backordered parts, alot can go wrong I would get the ball rolling as soon as possible. Waiting a year for a rifle is not out of the question.

Brent

I just got a barrel in from hart last week, they shipped it three weeks from order date. if you get started now you should have time. good luck.

load the 7 mag any way you want, it still wont be a good choice for a long range elk cartridge.
you could use the savage action, and have your 7 mag, and add another barrel for a good elk gun.
do yourself and the elk a favor and consider that.

load the 7 mag any way you want, it still wont be a good choice for a long range elk cartridge.
you could use the savage action, and have your 7 mag, and add another barrel for a good elk gun.
do yourself and the elk a favor and consider that.
Try telling that to all the elk we have dumped over the years with a single shot from a 7mag,we took these 2 bulls with the completly incapable 7 mag at 690,both 1 shot boiler room kills,they went 60 yards and dropped dead.
2004elkdrag.jpg

Last edited:
Try telling that to all the elk we have dumped over the years with a single shot from a 7mag

no doubt thats true. many shot with 270s also.
but how many have you taken at 500 yds. and further?

sorry, but there are better choices for that than the 7 mag.
the guy is going to the expence of building a gun, and taking an expensive hunt in both time and money.
why choose a sub par cartridge for that purpose?
would you argue that a 220 gr. 0r 250 gr. bullet at similar speed wouldnt be a better choice?

I would go with a 338cal so much better at long range. 7mm bullets are great but they cant compete with a big 338, run the balistics there is no arguing with it.

The Remington action is an excellent base for a custom build.

But, as Nonya pointed out. If you are handy with tools and want to build it yourself. The Savage is the way to go.

Last edited:
You guys are answering questions the guy didn't ask. Take your argument somewhere else. Quit crapping on this guys thread.

The Remington action is an excellent base for a custom build.

But, as Nonya pointed out. If you are handy with tools and want to build it yourself. The Savage is the way to go.
WHATEVER :Dgun)

Last edited:
The Savage has the benefit of the AccuTrigger, which after using for awhile I'm very fond of it. I've seen a couple barrel makers have pre-threaded and chambered barrels . Head space, spin the nut down and go shooting.
I'm just south of were your hunting, the wolves haven't had the impact there as they have here.
Are you the gunsmith or do you have one on line yet?
Good luck

the wolves haven't had the impact there as they have here [but they have impacted the enviroment tremendously but people sitting behind the desk dont see that an what it affects]:rolleyes:

Hopefully this latest delisting of the wolf will stick. Right now they are managed with indifference to the other wildlife. If they revert to state management they can at least be managed in relationship to there impact and numbers. There impact varies so much, our area they have changed how the elk move and live not so much hurt there numbers. They have really hit the livestock producers. In other areas they have wiped out elk and deer herds.
I'll be first in line to get a tag, 18$ over the counter.gun)

Thank you guys very much, I think I will use the remington, I talked to the gunsmith, who is a good friend of mine and he said he would use the remington. He said he would blue print the rem. action and I would love it. I was going to use the savage, until he said he would take it easy on my hip pocket. Thanks Guys

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.