What would you use a .416 Rigby for?

I shoot a .416 WBY which is a bit faster than (more case capacity) than the .416 Rigby. But, yes the .416's and other big bore calibers are normaly considered African or other dangerous game calibers.

As far as what is so great about the .416? My rifle with a 28" Shilen barrel can push a 350grn bullet at just a shade under 3100 fps. It will shoot just as flat as a .300 win mag with a 180 grn bullet and retains more energy at 400 yards than the .300 win mag has at the muzzle.

But to really get down to it..........I have it for same reason some others on this site use a 50 BMG to shoot ground hogs. I like it, and it is a lot of fun to shoot!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Any thing you ever wanted to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Most African contries require .400+ calibers for the big 5. I own .458's and I have not gone to Africa my gun on loan has. The smallest thing I have shot was a chucker and several coyotes. These magnum .400+ gun are excellant for deer, elk and big bears. They never move from the point of impact. You place the bullet and they die right on the spot. No tracking wouded animals.

I've always wanted a 416 rigby or the Rem.

(apparently the private message feature is not available?)

Trout~I don't want you to think this is a personal attack. This is NOT a personal attack.

I must put you on ignore....with deep regret. LB

[ QUOTE ]
Trout~I don't want you to think this is a personal attack. This is NOT a personal attack.

I must put you on ignore....with deep regret. LB

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of an obscure response to an honest question. I guess I'm not on your higher level of firearm understanding. We all got to start somewhere.

It's kind of a neat conversation piece and classic dangerous game cartridge, nostalgia is my primary guess.

The first 416 Rigby I bought was immediately turned into a 338 Lapua, even before I saw the 416 Rigby. I later decided I'd like to try the 416 as a shooter and hunting rifle so I bought another one. About all mine has killed (or mortally wounded) so far is a good sized spruce log in Alberta and a big ole oak in Maryland. I plan to use if for elk in Colorado this fall, black bear on my next northward bear trip (next fall) and maybe in Africa a few years from now. (I may try it on crop damage whitetail later this year too.)

I found that the .416 Rigby is the perfect porridge-protector when two enormous Alaskan Brown Bears charge your camp as you are eating breakfast. The 350 Swift A-Frame completely overwhelmed the 10'+ boar, as if he hit an invisible brick wall. Sow decided that the .416 was NOT to be messed with, porridge could wait, did a 90 and headed to the forest. Thinking back on it, I never did finish that bowl of porridge...

The .416 launches a 350 grain bullet about the same speed as an '06 launches a 180 - that might indicate what it will do. I zero 2" high at one hundred, bullet is 2" low at 200. Makes for a nice hunting rifle but it is a little hard on scopes and shoulders.

I also have a 416 WBY. Have not been to Africa yet but will when I retire from the USAF. So what do I do with it now...everything when I get bored with my other guns. This is last year's doe. Doe fell to the 416 WBY MAG at 452 yards. Heck it is a new gun with no "blood" on it and I could not wait to get to Africa in order to shoot it. Bullet is a GS Custom 330 gr HV. With RL-19 it does 3100 fps and shoots like a varmint bullet. BC is .565

416doe.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
As far as what is so great about the .416? My rifle with a 28" Shilen barrel can push a 350grn bullet at just a shade under 3100 fps.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your load please?

Pop,

Nice doe. What action is that .416 Weatherby built on?

A side note: I think it is great when our Young Americans get to enjoy the rewards of our devinely created outdoor life. Thanks

CG

Pop,
I am using 120gr of RL22 with either the Swift A-Frame 350grn or the Barnes TS in 350grn.

Please make note that these are MAX loads and are probably a little on the hot side. I never shoot these loads when the temp is above 85F and never let them sit in the sun as RL powders seem to be quite temp sensitive. Start lower and work up! I pick up some speed from the extra 2" of barrel over the factory 26".

I just got in a Southwest Products Pressure Trace system that will measure chamber pressures. I will be trying it out on my .416 load soon.

By the way, I noticed you are from Chyenne. I just sold my summer home in Pinedale WY a few weeks ago. I'll be heading out there in about week to spend most of the summer anyway. Looking forward to getting out of the heat/humidity of nort Arkansas.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.